Fab's AutoBackup forums

Welcome to Fab's AutoBackup technical support forums
Bienvenue sur les forums de support technique de Fab's AutoBackup
  • You are not logged in.

#1 2019-01-19 15:48:31

User27165
Member
Registered: 2019-01-19
Posts: 6

Versioning for client backups and One Click Backup

Dear Fabrice,

Thanks for your great software. Have been a Pro user version for quite some years already.

I am looking into selling clients Fabs AutoBackup 7 licenses. What i want to achieve is a backup solution for clients that they can run from their external USB HDD. It needs to be dead simple for the client so your program is great for that. One thing what is needed is versioning. I would like to have clients have multiple backups to restore from but i don`t want to fill the drive up endlessly. So the backup would need to work with versioning.

Are there any possibilities is for your program to do this?

Also some other things that i would be helpful is setting a One-Click backup button. This could technically be created with the command line builder but then it is just a cmd button and not a GUI. A single screen with 2 buttons (Make Backup/Restore Backup) without any questions or settings would be great to have for clients to create a bulletproof backup.

It would be great to have a single offline external USB drive that holds all the data and the Fabs program itself. With the %~dp0 variable i can create the backup to the same drive as were the script was started from, but it would be great if this could be incorporated in a GUI style way in Fabs itself.  Then clients cant do anything wrong anymore with backing up. Some time ago i have used ClickFree Backup Drives which were great for clients. Trying to re-create something that was as easy as ClickFree Backup.

If we could also figure out a way to run Fabs on connecting the External USB Drive then i will sell all my customers a license. ops

Looking forward in your opinions.

Offline

#2 2019-01-19 20:31:51

Fab
Administrator
Registered: 2011-05-11
Posts: 1,040

Re: Versioning for client backups and One Click Backup

User27165 wrote:

Dear Fabrice,

Thanks for your great software. Have been a Pro user version for quite some years already.

I am looking into selling clients Fabs AutoBackup 7 licenses. What i want to achieve is a backup solution for clients that they can run from their external USB HDD. It needs to be dead simple for the client so your program is great for that. One thing what is needed is versioning. I would like to have clients have multiple backups to restore from but i don`t want to fill the drive up endlessly. So the backup would need to work with versioning.
Are there any possibilities is for your program to do this?

That's not its first purpose since this version is made from Pro. I have been asked for features like that to make it simpler for residential customers. Step by step, it gets better for them. That said, the command scripts can only backup (restore in command line has not been implemented because of multi user ability in V7). Also, if versioning is needed, it is required to store backups in separated folders named with the backup's date with no purge. It means that soon or later, the backup drive will be filled if old backups are not deleted and this deletion has to be done manually.

User27165 wrote:

Also some other things that i would be helpful is setting a One-Click backup button. This could technically be created with the command line builder but then it is just a cmd button and not a GUI. A single screen with 2 buttons (Make Backup/Restore Backup) without any questions or settings would be great to have for clients to create a bulletproof backup.

It would be great to have a single offline external USB drive that holds all the data and the Fabs program itself. With the %~dp0 variable i can create the backup to the same drive as were the script was started from, but it would be great if this could be incorporated in a GUI style way in Fabs itself.  Then clients cant do anything wrong anymore with backing up. Some time ago i have used ClickFree Backup Drives which were great for clients. Trying to re-create something that was as easy as ClickFree Backup.

If we could also figure out a way to run Fabs on connecting the External USB Drive then i will sell all my customers a license. ops

Looking forward in your opinions.

All of this make me think a totally new software specially designed for this residential use is needed instead of the one available on the market today.


Fab

Offline

#3 2019-01-19 21:25:43

User27165
Member
Registered: 2019-01-19
Posts: 6

Re: Versioning for client backups and One Click Backup

That would be a great idea! Such a program built from the ground up but with the great backup features from Auto Backup would be a great solution. I'd love to help out with that if you want for testing and pitching the other ideas.

I have looked extensively for such a tool but it doesn't seem to exist like Clickfree once had.

If you're interested In talking about it further just let me know!

Offline

#4 2019-01-19 21:31:22

Fab
Administrator
Registered: 2011-05-11
Posts: 1,040

Re: Versioning for client backups and One Click Backup

User27165 wrote:

That would be a great idea! Such a program built from the ground up but with the great backup features from Auto Backup would be a great solution. I'd love to help out with that if you want for testing and pitching the other ideas.

I have looked extensively for such a tool but it doesn't seem to exist like Clickfree once had.

If you're interested In talking about it further just let me know!

That's very kind. I hope you will still be ready for this when I will be ready myself. Currently, I have too much work and too little time to start another project.


Fab

Offline

#5 2019-01-20 02:26:39

User27165
Member
Registered: 2019-01-19
Posts: 6

Re: Versioning for client backups and One Click Backup

I hope so too but I probably will. Cause I can always make time for useful and time-saving projects.

Offline

Board footer