Fab's AutoBackup forums

Welcome to Fab's AutoBackup technical support forums
Bienvenue sur les forums de support technique de Fab's AutoBackup
  • You are not logged in.

Announcement


Due to a large amount of fake accounts registrations for advertising purpose (spam), this forum does not accept new registrations any longer.
You can still browse existing threads to find the help you are looking for. If you do not find it and have questions, please use this contact form.

====================================

En raison d'un nombre important d'enregistrements de faux comptes utilisateurs à des fins de spam (publicité non sollicitée), il n'est désormais plus possible de s'enregistrer sur les forums de support technique.
Vous pouvez toujours parcourir les sujets existants pour trouver ce que vous recherchez. Si vous ne trouvez pas l'information et avez des questions, veuillez utiliser ce formulaire de contact.

#1 2020-02-05 17:42:52

Puzzled
Member
Registered: 2019-07-14
Posts: 26

[SOLVED] Brave Browser Profile issues

I was researching an issue that FAB missed a directory when moving data from a Windows7 to Windows10 and while researching I started FAB upon a computer here whose default browser is Brave Version 1.2.43 Chromium: 79.0.3945.130 (Official Build) (64-bit) whose profile is in %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\BraveSoftware

However FAB never picks up that the profile is there i.e. it is not automatically checked on

Offline

#2 2020-02-05 17:50:26

Fab
Administrator
Registered: 2011-05-11
Posts: 1,250

Re: [SOLVED] Brave Browser Profile issues

I've found out what's wrong and that weirder than what I thought a first sight and will require some brain gym to cover every possible case.

Older Brave versions stored profile in "%UserProfile%\AppData\Roaming\brave". That's the path Fab's is looking for right now.
If updated with newer versions, content is migrated to "%UserProfile%\AppData\Local\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\User Data" instead.
Now, I have to find out which of those possible profile location exists and pick it up. If both locations exists, I'll choose the new path as it makes more sense. Same thing for restore. If an old version has been installed instead of a new one, I'll restore to the old path. If there's nothing, newest path will be used (even if it does not exist). That should fit most cases.

Edit: so far, tests are working pretty well except one thing. It looks like Brave is starting to behave like Chrome, encrypting preferences in profile. Then, after a profile migration from a windows user account to another, Brave prompts for settings reset when opening settings window. Most of them seem to be there anyway such as start pages and bookmarks. Stored password do not get through.
That's still better than nothing so, an update is almost ready to be pushed.


Fab

Offline

#3 2020-02-06 10:34:33

Fab
Administrator
Registered: 2011-05-11
Posts: 1,250

Re: [SOLVED] Brave Browser Profile issues

Version 7.1.2.1390 is online and addresses this problem, among others. Here is the change log :
- The program could not set folders dates when backing up to a network path.
- The program could miss Brave browser profile because its path has changed.
- Public items could not be restored if translated "Public" word was something other than "Public".


Fab

Offline

#4 2020-02-06 16:54:08

Puzzled
Member
Registered: 2019-07-14
Posts: 26

Re: [SOLVED] Brave Browser Profile issues

Thanks for the quick fix for the issue.

Offline

#5 2020-02-06 16:55:19

Fab
Administrator
Registered: 2011-05-11
Posts: 1,250

Re: [SOLVED] Brave Browser Profile issues

Puzzled wrote:

Thanks for the quick fix for the issue.

You're welcome. I definitely could not let potential data loss in the wild  wink


Fab

Offline

Board footer