Fab's AutoBackup forums

Welcome to Fab's AutoBackup technical support forums
Bienvenue sur les forums de support technique de Fab's AutoBackup

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Due to a large amount of fake accounts registrations for advertising purpose (spam), this forum does not accept new registrations any longer.
You can still browse existing threads to find the help you are looking for. If you do not find it and have questions, please use this contact form.

====================================

En raison d'un nombre important d'enregistrements de faux comptes utilisateurs à des fins de spam (publicité non sollicitée), il n'est désormais plus possible de s'enregistrer sur les forums de support technique.
Vous pouvez toujours parcourir les sujets existants pour trouver ce que vous recherchez. Si vous ne trouvez pas l'information et avez des questions, veuillez utiliser ce formulaire de contact.

#1 2014-06-27 05:19:14

xionis

new user....few questions....

First I love the program! Much better than my other solution.

I upgraded to the latest version today (6-26-2014) after noticing there was an update available. I was trying to figure out a way to save my settings (checked items, exclude items, etc.) but couldn't seem to find a way to do so. Then I noticed the command line builder. I played with that a bit, which seems like it will do what I want....but I only have a couple of issues with it.

1. At the top where you select Path to fab's executable and click the browse (...) after I select the folder the line remains blank, and in the "command line" below it puts that path as the save directory. With the executable path line remaining blank it will also not allow me to save the file until that path is filled in. So I must type in the path manually, instead of using the browse (...) after I type that it, it places it in the right spot in "command line" and also allows me to save at that point.

2. Backup location: since I use an external usb hard drive on several computers a day, the drive letter changes. I do have a NAS on my network I could also use. How should I tell it where to save? (since drive letters change)

3. Is it possible to just run in normal mode with custom settings applied each time it runs? This way I can manually select the save to path; since I don't think it would be possible to auto detect which drive letter my external hard drive is each time.

Thanks for your time and help in advance. Thanks again for such a great time saving product also. big_smile

#2 2014-06-27 08:08:38

Fab
Administrator

Re: new user....few questions....

xionis wrote:

I upgraded to the latest version today (6-26-2014) after noticing there was an update available. I was trying to figure out a way to save my settings (checked items, exclude items, etc.) but couldn't seem to find a way to do so.

This question often come back to me. My position is that the tech can have problems is a customer comes with a computer with items to save that are not in the default tech selections. These items can just be forgotten before nuke and pave hmm
I can change my code to make the program able to keep the latest settings just like the V5 (not pro) does.

xionis wrote:

1. At the top where you select Path to fab's executable and click the browse (...) after I select the folder the line remains blank, and in the "command line" below it puts that path as the save directory. With the executable path line remaining blank it will also not allow me to save the file until that path is filled in. So I must type in the path manually, instead of using the browse (...) after I type that it, it places it in the right spot in "command line" and also allows me to save at that point.

There must be some issue there. That will be fixed ASAP. I always work with the field pre-filled so, I have never experienced this issue.

xionis wrote:

2. Backup location: since I use an external usb hard drive on several computers a day, the drive letter changes. I do have a NAS on my network I could also use. How should I tell it where to save? (since drive letters change)

Why not use UNC path instead of a mapped drive to your NAS ? This way, there should be no issue with letters.  smile

xionis wrote:

3. Is it possible to just run in normal mode with custom settings applied each time it runs? This way I can manually select the save to path; since I don't think it would be possible to auto detect which drive letter my external hard drive is each time.

There is another solution for that. With an USB drive, if I would use the program in a script, it would look like that :

REM Detecting on which drive the program will be running
IF EXIST D:\AutoBackup6Pro\AutoBackup6Pro.exe SET USBDRIVE=D:
IF EXIST E:\AutoBackup6Pro\AutoBackup6Pro.exe SET USBDRIVE=E:
IF EXIST F:\AutoBackup6Pro\AutoBackup6Pro.exe SET USBDRIVE=F:
IF EXIST G:\AutoBackup6Pro\AutoBackup6Pro.exe SET USBDRIVE=G:
IF EXIST H:\AutoBackup6Pro\AutoBackup6Pro.exe SET USBDRIVE=H:
IF EXIST I:\AutoBackup6Pro\AutoBackup6Pro.exe SET USBDRIVE=I:
IF EXIST J:\AutoBackup6Pro\AutoBackup6Pro.exe SET USBDRIVE=J:
IF EXIST K:\AutoBackup6Pro\AutoBackup6Pro.exe SET USBDRIVE=K:
IF EXIST L:\AutoBackup6Pro\AutoBackup6Pro.exe SET USBDRIVE=L:
IF EXIST M:\AutoBackup6Pro\AutoBackup6Pro.exe SET USBDRIVE=M:
IF EXIST N:\AutoBackup6Pro\AutoBackup6Pro.exe SET USBDRIVE=N:
IF EXIST O:\AutoBackup6Pro\AutoBackup6Pro.exe SET USBDRIVE=O:
IF EXIST P:\AutoBackup6Pro\AutoBackup6Pro.exe SET USBDRIVE=P:
IF EXIST Q:\AutoBackup6Pro\AutoBackup6Pro.exe SET USBDRIVE=Q:
IF EXIST R:\AutoBackup6Pro\AutoBackup6Pro.exe SET USBDRIVE=R:
IF EXIST S:\AutoBackup6Pro\AutoBackup6Pro.exe SET USBDRIVE=S:
IF EXIST T:\AutoBackup6Pro\AutoBackup6Pro.exe SET USBDRIVE=T:
IF EXIST U:\AutoBackup6Pro\AutoBackup6Pro.exe SET USBDRIVE=U:
IF EXIST V:\AutoBackup6Pro\AutoBackup6Pro.exe SET USBDRIVE=V:
IF EXIST W:\AutoBackup6Pro\AutoBackup6Pro.exe SET USBDRIVE=W:
IF EXIST X:\AutoBackup6Pro\AutoBackup6Pro.exe SET USBDRIVE=X:
IF EXIST Y:\AutoBackup6Pro\AutoBackup6Pro.exe SET USBDRIVE=Y:
IF EXIST Z:\AutoBackup6Pro\AutoBackup6Pro.exe SET USBDRIVE=Z:
REM Creating the backup dir if it does not exist
MD "%USBDRIVE%\Backups"
REM run the program
"%USBDRIVE%\AutoBackup6Pro\AutoBackup6Pro.exe" /"English" /BACKUP /SOURCEDRIVE=C /TO="%USBDRIVE%\Backups" /SUBFOLDER=YES /SOURCEUSERSPROFILESNAMES="ALL"

That should do the trick

Fab

#3 2018-07-12 14:06:16

cykosnake

This may be an old posting but I found a simpler way to run the script:

Switch the drive script from the drive letter to "%~d0" Example: "%~d0\Work\autobackup6pro\AutoBackup6Pro.exe" /LANGUAGE="ENGLISH" /BACKUP /SOURCEDRIVE=C /TO="%~d0\Users\Backup" /SUBFOLDER=#DATE#-#COMPUTERNAME# /SOURCEUSERSPROFILESNAMES="ALL"

It uses the location drive from wherever the script is located.

%~d0 gives you the current drive letter (including the colon). If the batch file's contained on the USB drive, you can use that.

So, for instance, instead of

E:\PortablePrograms\ProgramName.exe
you would write

%~d0\PortablePrograms\ProgramName.exe

Source: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/191 … er-changes

might be good to add this to *Tips and tricks smile

#4 2018-07-12 14:13:38

Fab
Administrator

cykosnake wrote:

Switch the drive script from the drive letter to "%~d0" Example: "%~d0\Work\autobackup6pro\AutoBackup6Pro.exe" /LANGUAGE="ENGLISH" /BACKUP /SOURCEDRIVE=C /TO="%~d0\Users\Backup" /SUBFOLDER=#DATE#-#COMPUTERNAME# /SOURCEUSERSPROFILESNAMES="ALL"

%~d0 gives you the current drive letter (including the colon). If the batch file's contained on the USB drive, you can use that.

So, for instance, instead of

E:\PortablePrograms\ProgramName.exe
you would write

%~d0\PortablePrograms\ProgramName.exe

Source: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/191 … er-changes

might be good to add this to *Tips and tricks smile

That's a great tip. Thanks for sharing!

Fab

#5 2020-07-23 22:00:50

K0media

cykosnake wrote:

[...]

This is very useful actually. Thanks for sharing, @cykosnake.

Last edited by K0media (2020-07-23 22:37:42)

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] ClaudeBot

Board footer