Fab's AutoBackup forums

Welcome to Fab's AutoBackup technical support forums
Bienvenue sur les forums de support technique de Fab's AutoBackup

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Due to a large amount of fake accounts registrations for advertising purpose (spam), this forum does not accept new registrations any longer.
You can still browse existing threads to find the help you are looking for. If you do not find it and have questions, please use this contact form.

====================================

En raison d'un nombre important d'enregistrements de faux comptes utilisateurs à des fins de spam (publicité non sollicitée), il n'est désormais plus possible de s'enregistrer sur les forums de support technique.
Vous pouvez toujours parcourir les sujets existants pour trouver ce que vous recherchez. Si vous ne trouvez pas l'information et avez des questions, veuillez utiliser ce formulaire de contact.

#1 2014-06-02 17:35:11

schwags
Administrator

[SOLVED] Wildcard search

As a long time user of datagrab from D7 creator Nick Shaw, I have tried fabs multiple times over the years attempting to make the change to it. Especially now that nick has discontinued development on datagrab. But, I have always found some major reason not to use fabs. It used to be that fabs would fail to grab data from profiles that have odd permissions, datagrab could run under system so that was a non-issue. Supposedly fabs 5 addresses this issue, but I have yet to test it. The other issue I have with it is described below.

The newest revision seems to address almost all of my previous reservation except for one. I NEED the ability to do a wildcard search and then replace all found items back where they were found in the original installation. D7's Datagrab has saved my butt many times by finding excel or word or even MDB files hidden deep down in the program files directory that would not have been found otherwise. Maybe the feature is in the new fabs, but I do not see it so correct me if I am wrong. I will buy and roll this out to all of my technicians if it has this feature.

Fab

#2 2014-06-02 17:38:13

Fab
Administrator

Re: [SOLVED] Wildcard search

Hi,
this is a great suggestion.
It is now in my "to do" list.

Thanks

Fab

#3 2014-11-21 17:33:38

schwags

Bringing an old thread back from the dead, any news on that wildcard search function? I just downloaded the trial for 6 pro and I see that it's still not there. This is a really vital feature for me, do you think you could implement it? Also, would there be a way to pre-set the program's defaults (maybe in the ini file?) so that I can setup what file extensions are gathered with my routines?...If you do this, I will switch my shops over to autobackup immediately!

#4 2014-11-21 20:06:13

Fab
Administrator

I had a huge work to do with this V6. I have looked at the "to do" list only today.
I did not wish to slow down the development process with too much new features because the work on a new design has been a bit more complicated than expected. I should have some time to have a break before going back to additional features. There are several :
- ability to list network interfaces IP settings
- ability to list printers and their ports
- quick books handling improvements
Maybe there will be more in the next days.

About the default settings, I have never added it to the pro version except for additional files/folders and exclusions. I think it is better to backup too much than taking the risk to forget something that matters.
Since you are not the first one to ask for this, I think I will have to do it anyway.

Fab

#5 2014-12-11 19:23:46

schwags

I appreciate your willingness to include this feature. I look forward to seeing it arrive. Maybe it can be an addition to the "Extra Files and Folders" tab? As far as what file extensions to search for, this would be my list:

.doc
.docx
.xls
.xlsx
.ppt
.pptx
.wps
.mdb <-- This has been a serious problem in the past, a lot of 3rd party programs store an .MDB file in program files. of course the customer doesn't know to inform us...
.pst <--I know it is already included, maybe this is moved to the new feature?
.qbw
.qdf
.pdf
.tax2010
.tax2011
.tax2012
.tax2013
.tax2014

They key here is that during the restore, the program do this wildcard restoration AFTER the standard files restores, then intelligently skip files that are already in place maybe by comparing file hashes or even do the de-dup during backup to save backup space. If hashing isn't reasonable, just a modified date and size compare is usually good enough. I know that this will all take some additional time to search the partition and process these hashes etc, but I am willing to let the computer run for longer because it means less face-time with the computer in the long run and a better overall job.   

Another general note, I would like to see a few more locations backed up:
-look for any stray files in the root of the user folder. I see that people accidentally put files there a lot of times.
-the whole c:\programdata\aol or %username%\appdata\local\aol folders? there are often personal file cabinet files there that don't even have a file extension.
-while were at it, it would be nice to be able to pre-define what files to skip as well. I never need to back up a tmp file...

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] ClaudeBot

Board footer