Fab's AutoBackup forums

Welcome to Fab's AutoBackup technical support forums
Bienvenue sur les forums de support technique de Fab's AutoBackup

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Due to a large amount of fake accounts registrations for advertising purpose (spam), this forum does not accept new registrations any longer.
You can still browse existing threads to find the help you are looking for. If you do not find it and have questions, please use this contact form.

====================================

En raison d'un nombre important d'enregistrements de faux comptes utilisateurs à des fins de spam (publicité non sollicitée), il n'est désormais plus possible de s'enregistrer sur les forums de support technique.
Vous pouvez toujours parcourir les sujets existants pour trouver ce que vous recherchez. Si vous ne trouvez pas l'information et avez des questions, veuillez utiliser ce formulaire de contact.

#1 2014-06-06 13:01:27

rckid

[SOLVED] Backing up and Restoring Multiple profiles

Hoping someone can help. I’m trying to restore multiple user profiles through the GUI, but it doesn’t appear that it’s possible. I’ve backed up approx. 20 profiles from a Server 2003 Terminal Server and would like to restore them to a 2008 R2 installation. It appears that when the backup is a made all profiles are copied to their respective folders, but upon restore, there’s no option to select multiple profiles at once. It appears that you have to restore them one at a time. Is this the expected behavior?

Thanks,
Josh

#2 2014-06-06 13:17:11

Fab
Administrator

Re: [SOLVED] Backing up and Restoring Multiple profiles

Hi Josh,

That is right, there is noption to restore multiple backups to multiple users profiles at once.
This is an idea that deserves to be tried. Another huge time saver.
Due to its complexity, that will not be added tomorrow

Fab

#3 2014-06-06 13:34:43

Fab
Administrator

Anyway, there is a workaround for that. You can use a command line script to restore your users profiles.
See the example below :

"X:\AutoBackup5Pro\AutoBackup5Pro.exe" /"English" /RESTORE /FROM="F:\Test\Profile_1_backup" /TARGETUSERPROFILENAME="Profile1" /ALL

"X:\AutoBackup5Pro\AutoBackup5Pro.exe" /"English" /RESTORE /FROM="F:\Test\Profile_2_backup" /TARGETUSERPROFILENAME="Profile2" /ALL

With local users accounts, the program can create the users from the parameter /TARGETUSERPROFILENAME value but You said that it is to restore users profiles on a Windows Server 2008 with remote desktop services, that means the users are domain users. I suggest to open a session manually for every user and then run the restore script. I do not know what could happen if you try to run the script directly, the created users profiles created might be local users instead of domain users.
That should do the trick

Fab

#4 2014-06-06 17:48:23

rckid

Fab,

Thanks for the quick response! I'll give it a shot. Great software, keep up the good work!

Josh

#5 2014-06-24 19:00:05

unclemarv

Hey Josh... did you get around to trying this? I am scheduled to upgrade a 2003 terminal server to 2008 mid July and would love an answer to that. I have already planned time to restore the profiles one at a time, but doing several at once would be awesome.

If not Josh... anyone else?

#6 2014-06-24 19:04:18

Fab
Administrator

unclemarv wrote:

Hey Josh... did you get around to trying this? I am scheduled to upgrade a 2003 terminal server to 2008 mid July and would love an answer to that. I have already planned time to restore the profiles one at a time, but doing several at once would be awesome.

If not Josh... anyone else?

What about scripting it ?
With somethig like that :

"X:\AutoBackup5Pro\AutoBackup5Pro.exe" /"English" /RESTORE /FROM="F:\Test\Profile_1_backup" /TARGETUSERPROFILENAME="Profile1" /ALL

"X:\AutoBackup5Pro\AutoBackup5Pro.exe" /"English" /RESTORE /FROM="F:\Test\Profile_2_backup" /TARGETUSERPROFILENAME="Profile2" /ALL

Just log on the server as each user to create their profiles and then then perform the restore job using a command line script. That should do the trick

Fab

#7 2014-08-02 02:16:57

unclemarv

Giving everyone an update. Did my transfer to the new remote server last weekend and everything went great!

Was able to backup and restore 80 profiles in one day. Obviously it took some time having to log in as each user, but the restorations were quick. The backup was quick (under 30 minutes) and the restores took about 7 hours.

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] ClaudeBot

Board footer