Fab's AutoBackup forums

Welcome to Fab's AutoBackup technical support forums
Bienvenue sur les forums de support technique de Fab's AutoBackup

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Due to a large amount of fake accounts registrations for advertising purpose (spam), this forum does not accept new registrations any longer.
You can still browse existing threads to find the help you are looking for. If you do not find it and have questions, please use this contact form.

====================================

En raison d'un nombre important d'enregistrements de faux comptes utilisateurs à des fins de spam (publicité non sollicitée), il n'est désormais plus possible de s'enregistrer sur les forums de support technique.
Vous pouvez toujours parcourir les sujets existants pour trouver ce que vous recherchez. Si vous ne trouvez pas l'information et avez des questions, veuillez utiliser ce formulaire de contact.

#26 2015-01-30 17:59:39

pcx

Re: Option to Move files instead of copy during restore

Oh, and it did include a lot of small files. Just to make sure I am on the same page, this is what I did.

I Clicked on transfer
Selected old account on C Drive
Created New account on C Drive (using fabs and adding password)
Checked All items
Checked remove source folder
And started the process.

I am going to try and do this the way we normally do this manually and see if I run into any issues.

Oh and yes the original account has a password to log in and so does the new account.

Last edited by pcx (2015-01-30 18:02:24)

#27 2015-01-30 18:03:49

Fab
Administrator

pcx wrote:

Oh, and it did include a lot of small files. Just to make sure I am on the same page, this is what I did.

I Clicked on transfer
Created New account on C Drive
Checked All items
And started the process.

I am going to try and do this the way we normally do this manually and see if I run into any issues.

Oh and yes the original account has a password to log in and so does the new account.

If you still encounter copy errors, can you try another time with the debug mode enabled? To enable it, right click the title bar, select "debug mode", run the job and finally, send me the report using the form that appears when closing the app.

Thanks

Fab

#28 2015-01-30 18:51:14

pcx

Fab wrote:

If you still encounter copy errors, can you try another time with the debug mode enabled? To enable it, right click the title bar, select "debug mode", run the job and finally, send me the report using the form that appears when closing the app.

Thanks

So, I tried migrating 64gb of data using both processes

Our Method

Create New account
Navigate to User folder and Click on the old user folder to gain permissions
Drag and drop all old user folders to new user folder
Merge folders, skip files, grab shared files
No errors
Done in about three minutes

keep in mind that with using this process, I would still need to backup all settings and preferences (after moving the data from the old account) and then backing them up, which usually only takes another 1-2 minutes. So in all, this process would take about 5 minutes.

Using Fabs

I Clicked on transfer (in debug mode)
Checked All items
And started the process.

We are now about 10 minutes into the process and we still have about 40gb to go and we have several copy errors (which again we don't see with our method)

I will send the debug report when done.

Last edited by pcx (2015-01-30 18:52:07)

#29 2015-01-30 18:56:46

Fab
Administrator

pcx wrote:
Fab wrote:

Thanks

So, I tried migrating 64gb of data using both processes

Our Method

Create New account
Navigate to User folder and Click on the old user folder to gain permissions
Drag and drop all old user folders to new user folder
Merge folders, skip files, grab shared files
No errors
Done in about three minutes

keep in mind that with using this process, I would still need to backup all settings and preferences (after moving the data from the old account) and then backing them up, which usually only takes another 1-2 minutes. So in all, this process would take about 5 minutes.

Using Fabs

I Clicked on transfer (in debug mode)
Checked All items
And started the process.

We are now about 10 minutes into the process and we still have about 40gb to go and we have several copy errors (which again we don't see with our method)

I will send the debug report when done.

Let's see what says the report and figure out how to fix this mess
Just to let me know, I guess that you are performing the migration from a third (admin) user account right ? Another thing, is the source user acount password protected too ?

Fab

#30 2015-01-30 18:59:29

pcx

No problem. Thank you for taking the time to look at this and for implementing the feature. Do you want me to send you the report via the program or on here?

#31 2015-01-30 19:01:08

Fab
Administrator

pcx wrote:

No problem. Thank you for taking the time to look at this and for implementing the feature. Do you want me to send you the report via the program or on here?

Use the program for that. It will collect details about the configuration to make me able to reproduce the problem.

Fab

#32 2015-01-30 19:39:17

Fab
Administrator

I have received the debug feedback. It looks like the speed issue is due to the copy errors. I have to investigate about them. What happens if you create the target user account without setting a password?

Fab

#33 2015-01-30 19:54:09

pcx

Fab wrote:

I have received the debug feedback. It looks like the speed issue is due to the copy errors. I have to investigate about them. What happens if you create the target user account without setting a password?

I still get copy errors (on what looks like all the files) even without a password. By the way, I tried this on 6.0.1.25353 and I also get those copy errors. It does seem that all the files do transfer though on both the test and stable version.

#34 2015-01-30 20:48:50

Fab
Administrator

pcx wrote:

I still get copy errors (on what looks like all the files) even without a password. By the way, I tried this on 6.0.1.25353 and I also get those copy errors. It does seem that all the files do transfer though on both the test and stable version.

Ok, so password protected user profiles are not the problem here. So far, I have not been able to reproduce this.
I understood that the copy error issue shows up even if you do not select the option to move the files. Do you have the same problems doing a backup instead of a migration?

Fab

#35 2015-01-30 21:01:09

pcx

Fab wrote:
pcx wrote:

Ok, so password protected user profiles are not the problem here. So far, I have not been able to reproduce this.
I understood that the copy error issue shows up even if you do not select the option to move the files. Do you have the same problems doing a backup instead of a migration?

When I try to do a back up, I also get copy errors.

EDIT: Also, Fabs ends up not responding after running for a few minutes in backup mode.

Just a few more notes

I have gotten copy errors on 4 different computers so far.
Each hard drive has been verified as working. (passes both short and extended tests and have no bad sectors)
I have tried with both accounts that were cleaned up from a virus and accounts that were completely fresh and have never seen viruses, so I don't think corruption is an issue.

The only thing I can think of is that maybe the program (I'm not a programmer, so I'm probably wrong and I have no way of verifying this) is taking permission of each file one at a time  instead of taking permission of complete folder (like the user folder) and its contents and it is having a hard time doing it, though it does eventually work.

I know our process uses the new account to gain permission of the whole "old user account" folder and its contents and this is all done in one shot before the transfer happens. So maybe it's a matter of what method is being used?

Anyways, I hope this information helps.

Last edited by pcx (2015-01-30 21:08:50)

#36 2015-01-30 22:36:44

Fab
Administrator

That may be an explanation but this is weird. I have no problem at performing such migration (just copying files, not moving them) from my local user profile (password protected) to a test account. That will be quite hard to sort out...  When the program deals with copy errors, it retries to copy the file using a different method. In this case, if the files are set to be moved, the file is copied, then removed from its source, that is why it takes time. If there is no copy issue, the file is just moved instantly.

I must succeed because this is the key. The fact is that I will not have time for this until next Monday (if things are going well!)...

Fab

#37 2015-01-30 23:19:52

pcx

Fab wrote:

That may be an explanation but this is weird. I have no problem at performing such migration (just copying files, not moving them) from my local user profile (password protected) to a test account. That will be quite hard to sort out...  When the program deals with copy errors, it retries to copy the file using a different method. In this case, if the files are set to be moved, the file is copied, then removed from its source, that is why it takes time. If there is no copy issue, the file is just moved instantly.

I must succeed because this is the key. The fact is that I will not have time for this until next Monday (if things are going well!)...

No problem, I am just thankful that you are working on this. I am sure that others will appreciate this feature as well. Have a great weekend.

#38 2015-01-31 20:39:56

Fab
Administrator

pcx wrote:
Fab wrote:

No problem, I am just thankful that you are working on this. I am sure that others will appreciate this feature as well. Have a great weekend.

I tried to make some changes regarding files permissions (and was unable to wait until Monday LOL). I have put a new test build on the FTP server. Just use the same download link to get it.
Let me know if it does the trick.

Fab

#39 2015-02-16 17:16:51

pcx

Hey Fab,

So, I think I found the account creation problem. We have been having account creation problems even without using the Autobackup program. The only common denominator is Tweaking AIO tool, which we use on a lot of infected systems. Once we realized this, we have stopped using it and we have not had any account creation problems. I think there is still an issue with getting the data from one account to the other, but I am going to try the migration process using other machines that are not using tweaking and see what happens. Anyways, just wanted to give you an update.

#40 2015-02-16 22:18:50

Fab
Administrator

pcx wrote:

Hey Fab,

So, I think I found the account creation problem. We have been having account creation problems even without using the Autobackup program. The only common denominator is Tweaking AIO tool, which we use on a lot of infected systems. Once we realized this, we have stopped using it and we have not had any account creation problems. I think there is still an issue with getting the data from one account to the other, but I am going to try the migration process using other machines that are not using tweaking and see what happens. Anyways, just wanted to give you an update.

Thanks for this information. I have looked for methods to force the program to close the session of the newly created account but with no success so far : every time I have had my current session (running AutoBackup) closed even while providing the target account credentials to run the commands sad

About the issue where you do not see files moving from an account to the new one, I still do not understand where there could be a problem. Like I have already said in our email exchanges, I have never encountered something like this. I hope I will be able to reproduce it some day

Fab

#41 2015-02-25 23:03:32

pcx

Correction, the account creation problems were not because of Tweaking.com. Instead it appears to be a setting that was not getting check in D7 when we would end the session. D7 is new for our shop and we are still learning how to use it. Anyways, I have not had a chance to personally do any more data migrations due to being busy and being sick, but I will try and make it a point to do it again soon.

#42 2015-02-26 08:16:39

Fab
Administrator

pcx wrote:

Correction, the account creation problems were not because of Tweaking.com. Instead it appears to be a setting that was not getting check in D7 when we would end the session. D7 is new for our shop and we are still learning how to use it. Anyways, I have not had a chance to personally do any more data migrations due to being busy and being sick, but I will try and make it a point to do it again soon.

Thanks for the update.

Take care

Fab

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] ClaudeBot

Board footer