Fab's AutoBackup forums

Welcome to Fab's AutoBackup technical support forums
Bienvenue sur les forums de support technique de Fab's AutoBackup

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Due to a large amount of fake accounts registrations for advertising purpose (spam), this forum does not accept new registrations any longer.
You can still browse existing threads to find the help you are looking for. If you do not find it and have questions, please use this contact form.

====================================

En raison d'un nombre important d'enregistrements de faux comptes utilisateurs à des fins de spam (publicité non sollicitée), il n'est désormais plus possible de s'enregistrer sur les forums de support technique.
Vous pouvez toujours parcourir les sujets existants pour trouver ce que vous recherchez. Si vous ne trouvez pas l'information et avez des questions, veuillez utiliser ce formulaire de contact.

#1 2015-02-10 21:26:14

storm44

Takeown error

I decided to try a backup on a windows XP system with 3 profiles using a Win8.1 SE bootable DVD with the Autobackup6 pro script added, All went well until I received the error: Windows cannot find "takeown" make sure you typed the name correctly and then try again. Once you get the error you only have a dialog box with a ok button and no other options but stop the process and start again. Is there a way around this?

#2 2015-02-10 22:25:46

Fab
Administrator

Re: Takeown error

Hi,
takeown.exe is a command line utility that should be in your Win 8.1 SE. The program tries to use it when it encounters permission problems with the files it is trying to copy.
Is this utility in your PE ? To answer this question, just boot your DVD and check if the "x:\windows\system32\takeown.exe" file exists.
That said, I have changed some code lines to call takeown.exe only if it is in the system directory and skip the instruction if it is not there.
I have sent a download link in your private messages. Let me know if it improved something

Fab

#3 2015-02-11 01:08:41

storm44

"x:\windows\system32\takeown.exe" did exist in the proper folder. After running the test version I did not get any more "takeown" errors but I did get a few "could not find icacls.exe" errors but once I clicked ok to retry, the backup resumed. when I reviewed the logs there was only 1 file out of 49 gigabytes of data that was not able to copy.

So all is well.
Thank you for your help

Last edited by storm44 (2015-02-11 01:12:21)

#4 2015-02-11 23:09:46

Fab
Administrator

That is a good news. I have performed the same modifications for the icacls.exe (used to set permissions on files and folders). I think there might be some problem with the %path% environment variable in your PE and it is just unable to find them when system executables are just called by their names. This is something I do not know how to fix in PE. Now, I have almost hard coded these executable paths in the program (IE: %Windir%\system32\icalcs.exe) instead of just calling them by their names.
You can download another test build (using the same link) if you want to check if the error message is gone. If so, I suggest that you flush your browser cache before or you will get strictly the same file.

Good feedback by the way smile
Thanks!

Fab

#5 2015-02-17 20:48:05

murraytm

We are experiencing the same problem at our shop. How can we obtain the updated / test build?

Thank you.

#6 2015-02-17 20:52:42

Fab
Administrator

murraytm wrote:

We are experiencing the same problem at our shop. How can we obtain the updated / test build?

Thank you.

Just check your private messages. The link is inside. But get it quickly because the download link will not work for long

Fab

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] ClaudeBot

Board footer