Fab's AutoBackup forums

Welcome to Fab's AutoBackup technical support forums
Bienvenue sur les forums de support technique de Fab's AutoBackup

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Due to a large amount of fake accounts registrations for advertising purpose (spam), this forum does not accept new registrations any longer.
You can still browse existing threads to find the help you are looking for. If you do not find it and have questions, please use this contact form.

====================================

En raison d'un nombre important d'enregistrements de faux comptes utilisateurs à des fins de spam (publicité non sollicitée), il n'est désormais plus possible de s'enregistrer sur les forums de support technique.
Vous pouvez toujours parcourir les sujets existants pour trouver ce que vous recherchez. Si vous ne trouvez pas l'information et avez des questions, veuillez utiliser ce formulaire de contact.

#1 2015-05-20 21:11:41

byarotsky
Website

[SOLVED] Network Support

I have seen little bits about how different shops backup and restore data to customers computers. We have a slightly different process again. Currently we use a Linux backup disk to boot the computer we are backing up then connect to our Samba share (Windows folder on a Linux server - same as a NAS) and run a full backup of the drive. This process has saved our butts a few times by being able to navigate to the full drive backup on our server and find that one file that was in some weird location and that didn't get restored originally for the customer.

I really like the idea of automating the process further and the Fab tool will probably be able to transfer most of the data we require for the average customer, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to be able to do two things that would allow us to use the tool.

1. Unable to do a transfer from a mapped or UNC server share

2. Unable to script the transfer in any way - only backup and restore features can use command line prompts

Is there any way we could discuss some options for allowing a single step transfer from something other than a local device and look at some command line transfer options? I would gladly assist in testing or functionality design in any way I can.

Thank you

Hope to be a Fab user soon.

Brad

#2 2015-05-24 17:31:49

Fab
Administrator

Re: [SOLVED] Network Support

Hi Brad.
Your process looks pretty good. Unfortunately, like you said, Fab's AutoBackup does not support network drives as source. The thing should be possible to add but only for offline disks like in your configuration. That said, it would require a huge work in order to add such feature. if I do that, the program must also be able to grab data from remote computers that are still running in a migration scenario. This will require much more work because I just do not know so far how to do this without permission access issues.

About scripting transfer feature, it has not been implemented because of the command line complexity it would give. Perhaps something simpler like "transfer all users profiles and create users accounts if they do not already exist" could do the trick

Thank you for the help you suggest

Fab

#3 2015-05-25 17:06:35

byarotsky
Website

I understand the issues that you may run into. Transferring a profile from the network connected Windows computer that could potentially be logged into that profile is a bad idea. But backing up from a Windows connected computer that has a secondary drive in it would work well and be basically the same thing that we would be doing. Let's just back burner the scripting portion for now. Is there any we can do a test on a network connected share to see if there are any further issues. Even if you can just allow a mapped drive and I will deal with setting up the mapping and authenticating to the server. Currently you only offer a local drive to show up in the drop down box in the transfer section, if we could relax this to allow for mapped drives as well, I would be willing to bet that it will just work. I would be willing to help in any way that I can.

thanks
Brad

#4 2015-05-26 08:42:09

Fab
Administrator

Transferring a profile from the network connected Windows computer that could potentially be logged into that profile is a bad idea

Of course it is but I am sure that users will ask for it.

Even if you can just allow a mapped drive

I would also prefer to not use mapped drives. They are often invisible within the program due to some security protections within Windows when using stuff like UAC. A network share with the right authentication would do the job a better way.

For now, there is no way to do this. I need to perform deep changes almost everywhere in the program to make it possible. That will require a huge time to write it in a first place and testing in a second time because it can cause malfunctions if things are done to fast. I do not really want to make a buggy thing

Work is already started wink

Fab

#5 2015-05-29 12:57:40

Fab
Administrator

Hi Brad,
Things have evolved about network support. So far, I have been able to preform backup and transfers from a network path. I copied a hard drive to a shared folder my NAS (with no required authentication) and used the "\\nas\workbench\test\windows" path as source. This path has to be entered in the "Select Windows directory" text field instead of the "C:\Windows" that is usually inside. Then, if this is a valid Windows folder location, the path is added to the dropdown menu and the program scans it to find users profiles. Then, it acted like it usually does with an attached drive.

I have not changed anything regarding the transfer scripting. I do not really feel at ease with that because of the problems that can occur if a user profile with the same name already exists on the local drive. I think that this kind of stuff must be always under control. If you want to test what has already been done, just check your private messages and get the test version form there.

Here is a list of what has changed since the last official release :

Added :
- Google Earth places files support
- Improved printers listing : if the printer is on a standard tcp/ip port, protocol (RAW or LPR) is added to the report/
- backup and transfer from a network place as source (unc path should be preferred instead of mapped drives)

Fixed :
- program's various ini files can now be stored on paths over 255 characters

let me know what you think about this build

Fab

#6 2015-06-01 17:25:31

byarotsky
Website

This is looking great and I think it will do what we want. I will do some further testing to ensure there are no problems. I understand your concerns on scripting and I agree with you. We are OK selecting the options from your interface but is there any way we can have a couple command line parameters (and maybe these exist already):

1. Be able to specify that we are doing a transfer - to get to the correct screen immediately
2a. Be able to specify the UNC path of the Windows folder that is being restored
2b. Be able to specify the UNC path of the network storage device to make network GUI interface start on the server (eg. \\NAS\FOLDER)

"C:\AutoBackup6Pro.exe" /LANGUAGE="ENGLISH" /TRANSFER /SOURCELOCATION=\\NAS\FOLDER\SUBFOLDER\WINDOWS /SOURCESERVER=\\NAS\FOLDER

We would be able to initiate the software with these switches from our control software and this will just allow us to streamline the software a little further.

Thanks again, this is looking awesome.

Brad

#7 2015-06-02 14:06:45

Fab
Administrator

byarotsky wrote:

This is looking great and I think it will do what we want. I will do some further testing to ensure there are no problems. I understand your concerns on scripting and I agree with you. We are OK selecting the options from your interface but is there any way we can have a couple command line parameters (and maybe these exist already):

1. Be able to specify that we are doing a transfer - to get to the correct screen immediately
2a. Be able to specify the UNC path of the Windows folder that is being restored
2b. Be able to specify the UNC path of the network storage device to make network GUI interface start on the server (eg. \\NAS\FOLDER)

"C:\AutoBackup6Pro.exe" /LANGUAGE="ENGLISH" /TRANSFER /SOURCELOCATION=\\NAS\FOLDER\SUBFOLDER\WINDOWS /SOURCESERVER=\\NAS\FOLDER

We would be able to initiate the software with these switches from our control software and this will just allow us to streamline the software a little further.

Thanks again, this is looking awesome.

Brad

Your request gave me some headaches but I got something that looks like what you want
The command line is also simpler than the one you suggested :
"C:\AutoBackup6Pro.exe" /LANGUAGE="ENGLISH" /TRANSFER /SOURCEWINDIR="\\NAS\FOLDER\SUBFOLDER\WINDOWS"

To get it, just use the same link, it should work. Let me know if it does not.

Fab

#8 2015-06-09 10:04:34

Fab
Administrator

byarotsky wrote:

Any comment about this test build ?

Fab

#9 2015-06-09 21:29:29

byarotsky
Website

We haven't had time to fully test this yet. Hope to get to it in the next day or two. I don't think there will be any problems. I will keep you posted.

Thanks
Brad

#10 2015-06-15 14:32:25

Fab
Administrator

Bad news here,
I have to roll back over one month of work. I have screwed up the app trying to add this modification. First, it was just little bugs in the development environment, now, it is simply unusable sad
A click on the design form means an error message. I have no other choice hmm

Then I will try to add every change one by one until I find what is wrong

Fab

#11 2015-06-15 15:51:26

byarotsky
Website

Thank you for all of your hard work.

#12 2015-06-22 12:01:35

Fab
Administrator

The problem is gone now.
The feature is in the latest official release since a few hours. That said, it is not documented anywhere because it needs a better support like being able to connect a remote "live" computer and this is not the case. I do not want people to be confused with that.

Fab

#13 2016-01-06 16:00:21

byarotsky
Website

Is this feature still working? I have downloaded the newest version as of today and attempted to use the command line switches as per the instructions above. When run it will take me to the transfer screen with the correct source loaded and will even show the profiles in the drop down box but I am unable click the next button, it is greyed out.

After further testing it appears that it is displaying only the profiles from the source machine in the drop down that is to display the target profile. So basically the drop down box for both the source profile and destination profile are the same. It does not show any of the destination profiles on the target computer. If I do the process manually it works properly. Please have a look.

thanks
Brad

#14 2016-01-06 16:08:08

Fab
Administrator

I will fix this ASAP

Fab

#15 2016-01-06 16:33:03

byarotsky
Website

Thanks   smile

#16 2016-01-07 11:10:16

Fab
Administrator

I have found a fix to make this feature working again.
I have sent the fixed version to you in a private message. Let me know if it does the trick for you like it did for me.

Fab

#17 2016-01-15 16:31:27

byarotsky
Website

Working perfectly. Thank you very much for working with me on this. Great product with awesome support.

Cheers.

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] claudebot

Board footer