Fab's AutoBackup forums

Welcome to Fab's AutoBackup technical support forums
Bienvenue sur les forums de support technique de Fab's AutoBackup

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Due to a large amount of fake accounts registrations for advertising purpose (spam), this forum does not accept new registrations any longer.
You can still browse existing threads to find the help you are looking for. If you do not find it and have questions, please use this contact form.

====================================

En raison d'un nombre important d'enregistrements de faux comptes utilisateurs à des fins de spam (publicité non sollicitée), il n'est désormais plus possible de s'enregistrer sur les forums de support technique.
Vous pouvez toujours parcourir les sujets existants pour trouver ce que vous recherchez. Si vous ne trouvez pas l'information et avez des questions, veuillez utiliser ce formulaire de contact.

#1 2015-08-21 16:52:44

support@doveltech.com

Backups are missing certain files

I currently have a Task Scheduler setup to automatically run Fab6 at 12PM everyday to backup all the newest files added to the desktop and my documents with exceptions to our network drive.  I've gone through many weeks of experiments to get the program to run and close automatically after it finishes.  Everything's been running fine until I've noticed that some files are not getting copied to the drive.

If I were to create a test folder and put in any non-excluded files there today and run it right away - the program does not get the latest test folder.
If I were to run one locally right now and put it on a local folder - I see the all the files.

Below is my command line script:

"Networkpath1\AutoBackup6Pro.exe" /LANGUAGE="ENGLISH" /BACKUP /SOURCEDRIVE=C /TO="\\Networkpath2\%Username%.IDC-S2\" /SOURCEUSERSNAMES="%Username%.IDC-S2" /SILENT  /ALWAYSKEEPNEWEST /DESKTOP /MYDOCUMENTS /EXCLUSIONS="*.exe;*.pkg;*.dmg;*.cab;*.img;*.iso;*.mp3;*.mp4;*.wav;*.mov;*.mpeg;*.m4a;*.wma;*.wmv;*.avi;*.jpg;*.jpeg;*.png;*.gif;*.bmp" /LOGSTORAGE="\\Networkpath2\%Username%.domainname\Logs"

Would you please tell me if I'm missing anything?  I really like this program but can't figure out why this isn't working at the moment.

P.S Also, sometimes the logs will indicate that a new file has been detected to backup but does not tell me what the files are (Screenshot).

Last edited by support@doveltech.com (2015-08-21 16:56:06)

#2 2015-08-21 17:10:51

support@doveltech.com

Re: Backups are missing certain files

FYI I've also noticed most of the files missing are stored in a folder... Namely a newly created folder that has the same created date.  Not sure if that's what it is exactly - just a quick observation.

#3 2015-08-21 21:17:17

Fab
Administrator

Hi,
I have just had a similar issue during tests. It was driving me nuts until I found out that the file I put in the new folder was in the exclusion list. I know that you said that the missing files were not excluded. The fact is that when I changed the file extension from .iso to .dat and ran the script again, the folder and its file were copied properly.

Just another thing: make sure that you have the latest release (6.1.2.25783 released on July 30th 2015)

About the file name, you can get it if you enable the debug mode. For that, you need to launch the program without the script, right-click the title bar and select "debug mode". Then, you can close the program. The next script run will make a log more verbose. If I was you, I would not let lit like that all the time as logs can become much larger. I example, I got a 15MB log file on first backup with just desktop and documents backed up. Keep that mode enabled only if you think there is a problem.

Fab

#4 2015-08-25 18:52:07

support@doveltech.com

Hello Fab.

Thank you for the response and sorry for driving you nuts hmm  Please see below for my responses:

Hi,
I have just had a similar issue during tests. It was driving me nuts until I found out that the file I put in the new folder was in the exclusion list. I know that you said that the missing files were not excluded. The fact is that when I changed the file extension from .iso to .dat and ran the script again, the folder and its file were copied properly.

Here's what I have: 17 folders on the desktop and 12 on the shared drive.  Below are the properties of the missing folders

1. Folder 1: no sub folders without excluded files

2. Folder 2: no sub folders with/without excluded files.

3. Folder 3: contains non exlcluded files and a subfolder without excluded files

4. Folder 4: contains a sub folder and has no files.

5. Folder 5: contains a sub folder with/without excluded files.

It seems very inconsistent to me.  I also see some folders that are identical to any of the above but are copied to the Network Drive.  The program also doesn't seem to always grab the latest files created within a fob/subfolder.  For example, I added 2 subfolders (Pictures & Notespads) within a folder called  "Files" yesterday.  The "Pictures" folder was not copied to the drive - this is good as I excluded .jpg, .jpeg, .png.  But the entire "Notepads" folder isn't copied at all even though there are only 16 .txt files. hmm

I even have several subfolder that've been around since late April that contain no excluded files (or mixed) that aren't copied.  Very weird and I just can't seem to figure out the pattern hmm

Just another thing: make sure that you have the latest release (6.1.2.25783 released on July 30th 2015)

Confirmed.  I'm currently using the latest release - I actually made sure of this before posting to the forum smile

About the file name, you can get it if you enable the debug mode. For that, you need to launch the program without the script, right-click the title bar and select "debug mode". Then, you can close the program. The next script run will make a log more verbose. If I was you, I would not let lit like that all the time as logs can become much larger. I example, I got a 15MB log file on first backup with just desktop and documents backed up. Keep that mode enabled only if you think there is a problem.

Thank you for the information - I'll try this.  Is there a command line (like /debug) that I could simply add in to enable this?  Would be nice if I could import a specific file into Fab 6 and make additional changes from the UI, but that's just a wish.

Thank you for the help so far and please let me know if you have more insight...

Last edited by support@doveltech.com (2015-08-25 18:58:01)

#5 2015-08-26 09:27:55

Fab
Administrator

Just an idea : in you command line, there is

/SOURCEUSERSNAMES="%Username%.IDC-S2"

Usually, when I see that kind of user profile, it means that there has been some problem with the original %UserName% profile and Windows created another one.
Here is my theory: the program keeps trying to get files from the old user profile that still have folders and data in it. To get the paths to backup from, it reads the registry at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders
I am pretty sure that values in the registry are still pointing to the old location.
This could explain why any new data is not copied to your network share.

Here is something you can try to fix this if you are not running Windows XP:
You have to be logged on the computer with the user profile to be backed up.
Paste the code above in the Windows note pad :

REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders" /v "AppData" /d "%UserProfile%\AppData\Roaming" /f
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders" /v "Local AppData" /d "%UserProfile%\AppData\Local" /f
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders" /v "My Video" /d "%UserProfile%\Videos" /f
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders" /v "{1B3EA5DC-B587-4786-B4EF-BD1DC332AEAE}" /d "%UserProfile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Libraries" /f
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders" /v "My Pictures" /d "%UserProfile%\Pictures" /f
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders" /v "Desktop" /d "%UserProfile%\Desktop" /f
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders" /v "History" /d "%UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\History" /f
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders" /v "NetHood" /d "%UserProfile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Network Shortcuts" /f
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders" /v "{56784854-C6CB-462B-8169-88E350ACB882}" /d "%UserProfile%\INFO-PARISOT\Contacts" /f
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders" /v "Cookies" /d "%UserProfile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies" /f
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders" /v "Favorites" /d "%UserProfile%\Favorites" /f
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders" /v "SendTo" /d "%UserProfile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo" /f
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders" /v "Start Menu" /d "%UserProfile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu" /f
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders" /v "My Music" /d "%UserProfile%\Music" /f
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders" /v "Programs" /d "%UserProfile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs" /f
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders" /v "Recent" /d "%UserProfile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent" /f
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders" /v "CD Burning" /d "%UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Burn\Burn1" /f
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders" /v "PrintHood" /d "%UserProfile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Printer Shortcuts" /f
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders" /v "{7D1D3A04-DEBB-4115-95CF-2F29DA2920DA}" /d "%UserProfile%\Searches" /f
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders" /v "{374DE290-123F-4565-9164-39C4925E467B}" /d "%UserProfile%\Downloads" /f
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders" /v "{A520A1A4-1780-4FF6-BD18-167343C5AF16}" /d "%UserProfile%\AppData\LocalLow" /f
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders" /v "Startup" /d "%UserProfile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup" /f
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders" /v "Administrative Tools" /d "%UserProfile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Administrative Tools" /f
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders" /v "Personal" /d "%UserProfile%\Documents" /f
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders" /v "{BFB9D5E0-C6A9-404C-B2B2-AE6DB6AF4968}" /d "%UserProfile%\Links" /f
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders" /v "Cache" /d "%UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files" /f
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders" /v "Templates" /d "%UserProfile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Templates" /f
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders" /v "{4C5C32FF-BB9D-43B0-B5B4-2D72E54EAAA4}" /d "%UserProfile%\Saved Games" /f

Save it as "ShellFolders.cmd" and run it.

If you are running XP, let me know and I will write another script for it.

Fab

#6 2015-09-02 18:10:14

support@doveltech.com

Hi Fab.

I wanted to first thank you for working through this issue with me - I truly appreciate it.

As instructed, I ran the copied the code and ran the cmd script and verified that the values are all created to the registry path (Shell Folders).  I then created 2 new folders: 1 with no excluded file types 1 with a mixture.  I also created a few non-excluded items on the desktop for testing.

I then ran my task scheduler, which runs the script I posted in my original post, and saw that no files have been copied to the Network Path.

The strange thing is this behavior is very inconsistent - the files are there sometimes and they aren't sometimes.  All the folders that weren't originally copied as described in my original post are still missing after I did this.

Any other advice?  Do you need any other information that might help with the case that I missed?  I'm running on Windows 7 btw hmm

#7 2015-09-02 18:19:36

Fab
Administrator

V6 pro is not really designed to do this as it requires high privileges to run. That may be a part of some explanation. Task scheduler and UAC can be very messy. Would you like a download link for a non pro version for testing? A good thing to know is that this version copies data only from the user profile running it.

Fab

#8 2015-09-02 18:39:03

support@doveltech.com

Hi Fab.

One thing may be worth mentioning is that I set my task scheduler to run with the highest privilege and the task will run when an Administrator is logged on (which every user is as it's part of our standard setup for each laptop).  The reason why i chose an Administrator group VS the user itself %Username%.IDC-S2 is because I can't seem to find the dynamic XML token that corresponds to the username for Task Scheduler.  I went through weeks of research to set this up (overcoming the UAC challenge) so that it'll always run and that's been the case ever since I set it up. 

In any case, I'd like to please try a non pro version if it's not much trouble for you! I presume I can just recycle the same code and see how this one works?

#9 2015-09-02 18:50:48

Fab
Administrator

I have just sent the link in private message.

Fab

#10 2015-09-02 19:23:37

support@doveltech.com

Thank you so much.  I'll test it and report back in a few days Fab  smile

#11 2015-09-04 12:06:34

Fab
Administrator

I tried to reproduce your configuration on my side and I still have no clue.
Here is what I did :
- I have set up 2 virtual machines: a Windows Server 2012 with ActiveDirectory and a Win7 Pro 64bit client.
- Before I joined the Win7 machine to the domain, the local user name was 'TestUser7', then I joined it to the ActiveDirectory and the domain user name was 'FPNET\TestUserName'. This gave me a user profile like the one you have : TestUser7.FPNET. This user is a local administrator (only on the Win7 machine, not on the DC)
- Then I put a 'script.cmd' file at the C:\ drive's root with that command line in it : "\\NetworkPath1\AutoBackup6Pro.exe" /LANGUAGE="ENGLISH" /BACKUP /SOURCEDRIVE=C /TO="\\nas\workbench\%Username%.FPNET\" /SOURCEUSERSNAMES="%Username%.FPNET" /ALWAYSKEEPNEWEST /DESKTOP /MYDOCUMENTS /EXCLUSIONS="*.exe;*.pkg;*.dmg;*.cab;*.img;*.iso;*.mp3;*.mp4;*.wav;*.mov;*.mpeg;*.m4a;*.wma;*.wmv;*.avi;*.jpg;*.jpeg;*.png;*.gif;*.bmp" /LOGSTORAGE="\\NAS\WorkBench\%Username%.FPNET\Logs"
- I have set the task scheduler to run the script every day with highest privileges with the domain user name's (FPNET\testUser7) credentials and I ran it manually twice. Once for the first backup and the second one after I have added more files into the folders, some excluded, some not.

The second script run was fine as expected, excluded files were not copied while others were, no problem with UAC either. I do not understand why it does not work for you.
Does this happen on every computer or just this one ?
Can you describe me every step you needed to set this up ? Maybe there is something I missed somewhere.

Fab

#12 2016-08-30 16:00:37

support@doveltech.com

Hello Fab - I hope this message finds you well...

I know this is an old topic and I apologized for never following up - this feature wasn't widely looked at for a while until recently and I wanted to revisit again to give you some input.

I left my previous script to run for another year and strangely, it seemed to pick up basically all of my files (i'd periodically check daily after 12 to see if a file is copied and would see the new files from the day before and in the am).  So it's as if the software/script isn't guaranteed to pick up all the files all at once when executing the script.cmd from a network drive and backing up to a network drive.

Fab wrote:

I tried to reproduce your configuration on my side and I still have no clue.
Here is what I did :
- I have set up 2 virtual machines: a Windows Server 2012 with ActiveDirectory and a Win7 Pro 64bit client.

We're running on Windows Server 2012 R2 and a Win 7 Pro 64 client.

- Before I joined the Win7 machine to the domain, the local user name was 'TestUser7', then I joined it to the ActiveDirectory and the domain user name was 'FPNET\TestUserName'. This gave me a user profile like the one you have : TestUser7.FPNET. This user is a local administrator (only on the Win7 machine, not on the DC)

All sounds right here EXCEPT the local admin username is NOT the same as the domain username.  We use a common local admin name (e.g localadmin) on every machine and unique domain usernames (e.g domain\joe.bob) as a structure.  Not sure if this makes a difference...

- Then I put a 'script.cmd' file at the C:\ drive's root with that command line in it : "\\NetworkPath1\AutoBackup6Pro.exe" /LANGUAGE="ENGLISH" /BACKUP /SOURCEDRIVE=C /TO="\\nas\workbench\%Username%.FPNET\" /SOURCEUSERSNAMES="%Username%.FPNET" /ALWAYSKEEPNEWEST /DESKTOP /MYDOCUMENTS /EXCLUSIONS="*.exe;*.pkg;*.dmg;*.cab;*.img;*.iso;*.mp3;*.mp4;*.wav;*.mov;*.mpeg;*.m4a;*.wma;*.wmv;*.avi;*.jpg;*.jpeg;*.png;*.gif;*.bmp" /LOGSTORAGE="\\NAS\WorkBench\%Username%.FPNET\Logs"

The "script.cmd" I have is actually on a different network drive (e.g \\san-100\AutobackScripts\script.cmd) than the storage network drive (e.g \\vm-backup-01\general\backups\%Username%.domain).

- I have set the task scheduler to run the script every day with highest privileges with the domain user name's (FPNET\testUser7) credentials and I ran it manually twice. Once for the first backup and the second one after I have added more files into the folders, some excluded, some not.

The second script run was fine as expected, excluded files were not copied while others were, no problem with UAC either. I do not understand why it does not work for you.
Does this happen on every computer or just this one ?
Can you describe me every step you needed to set this up ? Maybe there is something I missed somewhere.

I have no issue here with UAC since task scheduler is scheduled to run with the highest privilege so this part sounds identical Again, I understand that this is a dead old topic, but would still appreciate any insight you may have if this is something you're also curious about yourself (not sure if later updates have any impact on this, but it's been running on 6.1.2.25694).

Last edited by support@doveltech.com (2016-08-30 16:02:06)

#13 2016-08-31 07:04:12

Fab
Administrator

support@doveltech.com wrote:

I have no issue here with UAC since task scheduler is scheduled to run with the highest privilege so this part sounds identical Again, I understand that this is a dead old topic, but would still appreciate any insight you may have if this is something you're also curious about yourself (not sure if later updates have any impact on this, but it's been running on 6.1.2.25694).

Hi,
as I have never been able to reproduce the issue, I cannot tell you why it has finally worked for you.
There was an issue with folder exclusions feature until version 6.4.2.27328 : some files were not copied when there were excluded folders set on a system where they do not exist. This might be an explanation.

Cheers,

Fab

#14 2016-08-31 16:53:13

support@doveltech.com

Fab wrote:

Hi,
as I have never been able to reproduce the issue, I cannot tell you why it has finally worked for you.
There was an issue with folder exclusions feature until version 6.4.2.27328 : some files were not copied when there were excluded folders set on a system where they do not exist. This might be an explanation.

Cheers,

Hey man.

Thanks a lot for the reply.  Strange things is that I'm not including/excluding any folders at the moment and I still have trouble understanding how it started working.  I actually tried it again on the same machine where I changed the path one folder up, and it only grabbed about half of the files on my machine.  I then manually ran it again about 10 minutes later and it grabbed 700 more files (still not all), but wouldn't get more with more manual runs.

Is there a "refresh period" you have to wait for Fab6 AutobackPro to pick up new file changes?

#15 2016-08-31 17:00:42

Fab
Administrator

Hey man.

Thanks a lot for the reply.  Strange things is that I'm not including/excluding any folders at the moment and I still have trouble understanding how it started working.  I actually tried it again on the same machine where I changed the path one folder up, and it only grabbed about half of the files on my machine.  I then manually ran it again about 10 minutes later and it grabbed 700 more files (still not all), but wouldn't get more with more manual runs.

Is there a "refresh period" you have to wait for Fab6 AutobackPro to pick up new file changes?

That is totally abnormal. It should get everything that does not exist on the target.
There is no check interval. It checks the source file's modification date and size, compare them with the destination and copies the file according to user's settings.
What about using /PURGE instead of /ALWAYKEEPNEWEST in your script?
Caution: this switch will delete everything in the backup folder that does not exist on your machine.

Fab

#16 2016-09-01 17:52:22

support@doveltech.com

Fab wrote:

Hey man.

That is totally abnormal. It should get everything that does not exist on the target.
There is no check interval. It checks the source file's modification date and size, compare them with the destination and copies the file according to user's settings.
What about using /PURGE instead of /ALWAYKEEPNEWEST in your script?
Caution: this switch will delete everything in the backup folder that does not exist on your machine.

Hi Fab - thank you for the information.  I did ran a few tests to a test path and below are the results:
[ ALWAYSKEEPNEWEST RUNS]
*Starting fresh*
- Run 1: \\NetworkPath\testusername -> 414 MB 846 Files 149 Folders
- Run 2: \\NetworkPath\testusername -> 414 MB 848 Files 149 Folders *added a test text file on desktop. This looks right with the test text - and a log file
- Run 3: \\NetworkPath\testusername -> 414 MB 849 Files 149 Folders *another log file
[ PURGE RUNS]
- Run 4: \\NetworkPath\testusername -> 414 MB 849 Files 149 Folders
- Run 5: \\NetworkPath\testusername -> 414 MB 849 Files 149 Folders
*Deleted target folder & starting fresh*
- Run 6: \\NetworkPath\testusername -> 414 MB 847 Files 19 Folders *this includes the test text file from Run 2.

Base on the results, things are working intended and I'm getting the files based on the settings....  So this is a good sign for sure! I can't seem to reproduce the weird part where a manual task scheduler run didn't get all the files the first time and I had to re-run again to get the other files going.

Does the fact that AutoBackup6Pro is hosted on a network drive vs local drive have any potential impact at all?  If network connection is in question, I'd think that the backup wouldn't be work at all and not get partial files.

Scratching my head quite a bit on this... Any thoughts?

#17 2016-09-02 12:58:41

Fab
Administrator

Does the fact that AutoBackup6Pro is hosted on a network drive vs local drive have any potential impact at all?  If network connection is in question, I'd think that the backup wouldn't be work at all and not get partial files.

Scratching my head quite a bit on this... Any thoughts?

I agree with you about the fact it is on a network share: that would not work at all if this was a problem.
That said, it is worth trying with the task scheduler and the program on the local drive.

Fab

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] claudebot

Board footer