Fab's AutoBackup forums

Welcome to Fab's AutoBackup technical support forums
Bienvenue sur les forums de support technique de Fab's AutoBackup

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Due to a large amount of fake accounts registrations for advertising purpose (spam), this forum does not accept new registrations any longer.
You can still browse existing threads to find the help you are looking for. If you do not find it and have questions, please use this contact form.

====================================

En raison d'un nombre important d'enregistrements de faux comptes utilisateurs à des fins de spam (publicité non sollicitée), il n'est désormais plus possible de s'enregistrer sur les forums de support technique.
Vous pouvez toujours parcourir les sujets existants pour trouver ce que vous recherchez. Si vous ne trouvez pas l'information et avez des questions, veuillez utiliser ce formulaire de contact.

#1 2015-08-27 19:57:01

clickright

Restore Outlook Profile -- Works sometimes, not others

I'm trying to figure out why restoring Outlook profiles works sometimes and not others.

I always install Outlook first (even though I understand this doesn't matter) and do NOT open it until the restoration completes.

If I'm lucky, it will import the profile.

If I'm not (usually the case) it does not.

Right now I'm moving a client from a Windows 7 laptop which is physically damaged over to an almost identical Windows 7 laptop. Usernames are identical. I did the transfer but Outlook 2007 on the new computer did not import the profile.

What am I doing wrong? What can I do to produce consistent results?

Edit: BTW - HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles is empty.

Last edited by clickright (2015-08-27 20:01:16)

#2 2015-08-27 20:06:47

Fab
Administrator

Re: Restore Outlook Profile -- Works sometimes, not others

Did you pick up all PST and OST files ?
Was there any warning about user registry that could not be loaded ?

Fab

#3 2015-08-27 20:08:27

clickright

Thanks for the quick response!

Yes, all PSTs were picked up, no warnings or errors in the log save for .bbb blackberry backup files.

#4 2015-08-27 20:12:47

Fab
Administrator

I am setting up a VM with Win7 x64 and Outlook 2007 in order to understand what is screwing up.
How was it set up? How many POP and IMAP acounts?
Also, how did you perform the job ? Was it a direct transfer from the old drive hooked or did you backup then restore ?

Fab

#5 2015-08-27 20:36:02

clickright

Hi,

The old machine is dead, so I'm not sure on accounts. Will try and setup a VM and find out. There were 3 PSTs: outlook.pst, archive.st, and Outlook1.pst
I did a direct transfer

#6 2015-08-27 20:45:20

clickright

I made it work!

I just loaded the user registry hive from the old machine in regedit, then exported the key:  HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles

In notepad, I corrected the output to the right registry key (it was changed due to it being loaded in regedit)

I then imported the .reg and all settings came in smile

It seems to me that the only thing AutoBackup isn't doing is grabbing that key smile

Last edited by clickright (2015-08-27 20:46:05)

#7 2015-08-27 20:50:18

Fab
Administrator

This is something it is supposed to do. What about the accounts?
Would that be possible that you send me the registry file (using Dropbox in example)?

Fab

#8 2015-08-27 20:53:37

clickright

It loaded the account. There was only 1 pop3 account.

Sure, just let me know which .reg you want?

#9 2015-08-27 20:55:36

Fab
Administrator

Why not packing all of them in a zip file?
Use the private messages to send the link. The reg files contain email addresses and should remain private.
Thanks

Fab

#10 2015-08-27 21:27:39

Fab
Administrator

I got the files. This way I will be able to recreate the configuration.
Thanks

Fab

#11 2015-08-31 14:32:12

Fab
Administrator

clickright wrote:

I made it work!

I just loaded the user registry hive from the old machine in regedit, then exported the key:  HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles

In notepad, I corrected the output to the right registry key (it was changed due to it being loaded in regedit)

I then imported the .reg and all settings came in smile

It seems to me that the only thing AutoBackup isn't doing is grabbing that key smile

I have found out what is wrong. The problem occurs when the source the current user names are the same.
I have been able to fix in my development build. This will be in the next official update. I have some other features to finalize and then I will release it.
Thanks for feeding this back. Hopefully, the Outlook feature should have more lucky results for you wink

Edit 2015/09/02: I have just sent my latest development build. Let me know if it solves the problems you usually have with Outlook profiles

Fab

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] ClaudeBot

Board footer