Fab's AutoBackup forums

Welcome to Fab's AutoBackup technical support forums
Bienvenue sur les forums de support technique de Fab's AutoBackup

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Due to a large amount of fake accounts registrations for advertising purpose (spam), this forum does not accept new registrations any longer.
You can still browse existing threads to find the help you are looking for. If you do not find it and have questions, please use this contact form.

====================================

En raison d'un nombre important d'enregistrements de faux comptes utilisateurs à des fins de spam (publicité non sollicitée), il n'est désormais plus possible de s'enregistrer sur les forums de support technique.
Vous pouvez toujours parcourir les sujets existants pour trouver ce que vous recherchez. Si vous ne trouvez pas l'information et avez des questions, veuillez utiliser ce formulaire de contact.

#1 2016-02-18 21:32:27

Armedtoe

[SOLVED] Windows.Old Data Transfer

I work in a shop where, if the harddrive is known to be working well, we sometimes simply reinstall the operating system on the existing drive, but keep the existing files on the drive (Windows.old folder). We then migrate the entire User folder to the new profile and extract the Drivers from Windows.old/WINDOWS/system32/DRIVERSTORE if needed.

I would like to use Fab's to move the necessary files from windows.old, as you would when switching drives.
This means I get to keep the Windows.old for a period of time until the customer can verify all of their needed files are still available.
I've had a few cases where Fab's didn't pick up certain software locations or files within the programs and we had to search for deleted files as a result.

How can I make this happen?
When choosing "Transfer Data" and "select windows directory" to choose C:/Windows.old/Windows, it only gives me the normal profiles found on C:/Users, not C:/Windows.old/Users.

Edit: Here's the only workaround I've managed:
(assuming you only have 1 accessible NTFS partition; if you have a RECOVERY partition or something else Fab's will recognize, use that instead of the 100mb temporary partition)
1) Use Disk Management to shrink your main partition by 100mb
2) Create a NTFS partition on the 100mb unallocated space
3) Run Fab's, Select Data Transfer, Select Source Hard drive, and choose the 100mb partition you made.
4) It will say the remote registry hive could not be loaded, and hit Yes to select the users profile directory manually
5) Select C:/windows.old/Users
6) The correct profiles will be visible and transferrable
7) Transfer data
8) Delete the temporary partition and expand the volume.

Last edited by Armedtoe (2016-02-18 22:18:05)

#2 2016-02-18 23:29:25

PCSsolutions.net

Re: [SOLVED] Windows.Old Data Transfer

I also been using the same technique (moving everything to an OLD folder) for the longest time.  What I then do is move the OLD Documents files manually to the new installation location and then finally use Fab to backup the OLD settings and restore them to the new installation.

It would great to have Fab's Transfer feature  have a "move" option so that the Transfer feature will "move" the files from the OLD location to the new installation.  Moving files on the same drive is under 10 seconds no matter how much data (even 500+ GB).

PCS Solutions

#3 2016-02-19 08:11:49

Fab
Administrator

Armedtoe wrote:

I would like to use Fab's to move the necessary files from windows.old, as you would when switching drives.
This means I get to keep the Windows.old for a period of time until the customer can verify all of their needed files are still available.
When choosing "Transfer Data" and "select windows directory" to choose C:/Windows.old/Windows, it only gives me the normal profiles found on C:/Users, not C:/Windows.old/Users.

Hi,
that would be a great new feature.
This will not be part of the very next update that is about to be released but I can start working in adding this Windows.old as source for transfers and make all necessary changes for that.

Fab

#4 2016-02-19 08:20:42

Fab
Administrator

PCSsolutions.net wrote:

I also been using the same technique (moving everything to an OLD folder) for the longest time.  What I then do is move the OLD Documents files manually to the new installation location and then finally use Fab to backup the OLD settings and restore them to the new installation.

It would great to have Fab's Transfer feature  have a "move" option so that the Transfer feature will "move" the files from the OLD location to the new installation.  Moving files on the same drive is under 10 seconds no matter how much data (even 500+ GB).

PCS Solutions

There is already a "move" option. You can find it on the job summary page. It is a "Remove source files (saves disk space)" check box. This way, the file is first copied on its destination, then, if the copy process worked well, the source file is deleted.
This should do the trick for you.

Fab

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] ClaudeBot

Board footer