Fab's AutoBackup forums

Welcome to Fab's AutoBackup technical support forums
Bienvenue sur les forums de support technique de Fab's AutoBackup

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Due to a large amount of fake accounts registrations for advertising purpose (spam), this forum does not accept new registrations any longer.
You can still browse existing threads to find the help you are looking for. If you do not find it and have questions, please use this contact form.

====================================

En raison d'un nombre important d'enregistrements de faux comptes utilisateurs à des fins de spam (publicité non sollicitée), il n'est désormais plus possible de s'enregistrer sur les forums de support technique.
Vous pouvez toujours parcourir les sujets existants pour trouver ce que vous recherchez. Si vous ne trouvez pas l'information et avez des questions, veuillez utiliser ce formulaire de contact.

#1 2016-03-31 19:47:07

rodqmiller

[SOLVED] Restore: Target user profile only lists local profiles

I am attempting to restore a profile onto a freshly setup Windows 10 Pro computer that is joined to a domain and has 1 local account and 3 domain accounts in the users folder.

My problem is that when I choose Restore data, under the Target user profile, it only lists the one local profile but none of the domain profiles. I need to restore to one of the domain profiles. At this point, I have not even selected my backup folder but it doesn't matter if I do because the result is the same.

This computer is a Dell Optiplex 7040 which originally was loaded with Windows 7 Pro but was upgraded to Windows 10 Pro. It is Version 1511, OS build 10586.164

I tested it against another computer, a Microsoft Surfacebook which is also a domain joined Windows 10 Pro computer (a different domain) and when choosing restore, it immediately presented me with both local and domain accounts to restore to.

For the problem computer, I have tried opening Fabs Autobackup 6 in multiple ways. I have logged in as a domain admin and launched it. I have given the domain user temporary admin rights, I have logged in as the domain user and ran Fabs as administrator. Nothing I do will give me an option to restore to a domain user account.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Rod

#2 2016-03-31 19:53:27

Fab
Administrator

Re: [SOLVED] Restore: Target user profile only lists local profiles

Hi,
Target users profiles must have been logged in at least once to be shown in the list. Also, the administrator account used for running the program needs to have full permissions on the profiles.
I use a Windows 10 x64 within a domain at work and I have no problem with domain profiles.

Fab

#3 2016-04-01 03:28:01

rodqmiller

The domain account I am trying to restore has been logged in already. Also, although this particular domain account is a non-administrator, I even changed it to an administrative account and logged in directly as this user and Fabs does not offer this domain account to restore to. Also, I did log in as the domain administrator account which should have permissions. I'll try it again tomorrow and specifically give the domain administrator account full access to this domain account and see if it makes any difference.

Also, this evening, on my surfacebook, I logged in as another non-administrative domain account and then immediately tried Fabs to start a restore and it had no problem offering me the newly created domain account without me granting any special permissions.

I'll update tomorrow.

Thanks,

Rod

#4 2016-04-01 14:52:31

rodqmiller

Still having problems and looking for a solution. Today, I logged onto this Windows 10 domain joined computer as a domain administrator account. Although Domain Admins were already in the local administrators group, I went ahead and added the account I was logged in as. After that, I also rebooted the computer. I tried Fabs and which choosing restore, it still would not list any domain accounts, only 1 local account. Then while logged on as the domain administrator account, I chose to click on the domain user folder I am trying to restore to and it said I did not have permissions but offered to grant me permissions which I did. Now I can browse the user folder. I tried Fabs again and it still would not offer me any domain accounts to restore to. I tried rebooting again without success. I even booted into safe mode with networking and it still would not work.

As another test, I tried this on another Windows 10 virtual machine joined to the same domain and without any extra modification, when I chose restore, it offered me all of the domain accounts as restore targets.

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks,

Rod

#5 2016-04-01 15:48:36

Fab
Administrator

I may have an idea since it is a Windows 7 upgraded to Windows 10. There may be a c:\Windows.old folder.
What about deleting this folder using the Windows disk cleaner or renaming it to something else? I am pretty sure that it lists the users profiles that are under this old install. This is a bug I am hunting but unable to reproduce it so far.

Fab

#6 2016-04-01 16:09:55

rodqmiller

Bingo! You are a winner!! That is exactly what it was. I used disk cleanup to delete the old Windows 7 installation and rebooted. Now, when I choose restore, I am presented with both local and domain profiles as target user profiles.

Thank you.

Rod

#7 2016-04-02 08:52:14

Fab
Administrator

Great to see that worked for you. I have finally been abled to reproduce the problem with an upgraded machine. The issue you encoutered helped me at sorting this out : on my test machine, both old and new user profile (yes just one on each Windows install) had the same name, this is why I saw no difference. So, I have added a new user profile on the machine, logged in to create the profile. Then I tried to restore files on the new profile but I was not able to see it like you were. I have fixed the code that selected the old install instead of the new one and now, the problem is gone. With next update, you will not have to cleanup your drive prior to restore, it will just do its job like it is supposed to smile
Thanks a lot for that wink

Fab

#8 2016-04-02 14:31:30

rodqmiller

Thanks for fixing it. If I would have thought about it a little more before my last post, I think I might have seen that it was looking at the old Windows somehow. Because I had originally stated that it was only showing me local accounts and no domain accounts. But later in my testing, I had created a new local account on Windows 10 and Fabs still only gave me the option of restoring to the original local account and did not list the new local account.

These were new computers that came with Windows 7 but I wanted to get them upgraded to Windows 10 so I originally did the Windows 7 setup with 1 local account and did not join it to the domain. Then I took an image of Windows 7 and then upgraded it to Windows 10. After upgrading to Windows 10, I joined it to the domain, etc. It is interesting that Fabs looked all the way down into the accounts of the original Windows 7 instead of the upgraded Windows 10 accounts.

Thanks again.

Rod

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] claudebot

Board footer