Fab's AutoBackup forums

Welcome to Fab's AutoBackup technical support forums
Bienvenue sur les forums de support technique de Fab's AutoBackup

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Due to a large amount of fake accounts registrations for advertising purpose (spam), this forum does not accept new registrations any longer.
You can still browse existing threads to find the help you are looking for. If you do not find it and have questions, please use this contact form.

====================================

En raison d'un nombre important d'enregistrements de faux comptes utilisateurs à des fins de spam (publicité non sollicitée), il n'est désormais plus possible de s'enregistrer sur les forums de support technique.
Vous pouvez toujours parcourir les sujets existants pour trouver ce que vous recherchez. Si vous ne trouvez pas l'information et avez des questions, veuillez utiliser ce formulaire de contact.

#1 2016-05-03 12:50:59

avd1922

Windows 10 settings not recovered

Hello,

I just bought AutoBackup 6 Pro and did a trial backup/restore on a Windows 10 machine on a
profile that is tied to a Microsoft account.  I found the following things did not get restored so
I had to manually adjust/backfill. 

1)  Desktop Folders  (Computer, User's Profile Folder, Network, Control Panel) dissappeared.
2)  Icons pinned to the taskbar were not restored.
3)  Default Applications  (Email, Web Browser, etc. ) reverted to Microsoft defaults.
4)  Login Photo was not restored.
5)  Placement of Desktop Icons were lost  (restoring to same display) and had to be readjusted.

Many other settings made it  (mapped drives, printers, etc.) so I'm thinking that the product
would be so much more useful if the above items also worked. 

Am I doing something wrong?
Should I expect these items to be restored?

Arman

#2 2016-05-03 13:03:26

Fab
Administrator

Re: Windows 10 settings not recovered

Hi,

1)  Desktop Folders  (Computer, User's Profile Folder, Network, Control Panel) dissappeared.

These icons have to be set to be shown on the new user profile. Restore process will not bring them back.

2)  Icons pinned to the taskbar were not restored.

Pinned icons are not handled, so, that is a normal behavior

3)  Default Applications  (Email, Web Browser, etc. ) reverted to Microsoft defaults.

If you mean Modern UI apps like Mail or Edge (only favorites are handled for this one), that is normal too. If you had a browser like Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox, it would have been fine.

4)  Login Photo was not restored.

This is not handled either

5)  Placement of Desktop Icons were lost  (restoring to same display) and had to be readjusted.

This one is so much tricky that is had never been added. Can I just know where you read that such stuff is handled?

All that said, there is a bunch of good ideas for future updates
I think about login photos, maybe user pinned apps (if that is possible to do that programmatically). Placement of desktop icons and Microsoft Modern UI apps settings are too tricky to handle without playing with fire here.

Fab

#3 2016-07-12 15:41:48

Dr_Jon

Re: Windows 10 settings not recovered

For the desktop Icons could you just use DesktopOK like the other programs people can download and select as options?
http://www.softwareok.com/?seite=Freeware/DesktopOK

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] ClaudeBot

Board footer