Fab's AutoBackup forums

Welcome to Fab's AutoBackup technical support forums
Bienvenue sur les forums de support technique de Fab's AutoBackup

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Due to a large amount of fake accounts registrations for advertising purpose (spam), this forum does not accept new registrations any longer.
You can still browse existing threads to find the help you are looking for. If you do not find it and have questions, please use this contact form.

====================================

En raison d'un nombre important d'enregistrements de faux comptes utilisateurs à des fins de spam (publicité non sollicitée), il n'est désormais plus possible de s'enregistrer sur les forums de support technique.
Vous pouvez toujours parcourir les sujets existants pour trouver ce que vous recherchez. Si vous ne trouvez pas l'information et avez des questions, veuillez utiliser ce formulaire de contact.

#1 2016-08-16 19:55:01

manwdaplan

Feature request (Minecraft backup)

Hello,

If this is not in the correct place forgive me and feel free to move to where it needs to go. Love this product by the way.

So it would be nice if we could backup Minecraft information and restore it. The data is located here

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft

In there there is a saves folder, but I would almost say copy the whole folder over. Right now I move it over with the extra folders option, but it would be nice if it would detect that minecraft is installed so I can be clued in to if its installed or not.

Also would be great if there was a timeout on a individual file copy. I use this on drives that are having issues sometimes and it would be nice if it would just skip files that take longer there a certain amount of time to copy over.

Thanks keep up the great work on this product

Shawne

#2 2016-08-17 07:59:10

Fab
Administrator

Re: Feature request (Minecraft backup)

manwdaplan wrote:

Hello,

it would be nice if we could backup Minecraft information and restore it. The data is located here

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft

In there there is a saves folder, but I would almost say copy the whole folder over. Right now I move it over with the extra folders option, but it would be nice if it would detect that minecraft is installed so I can be clued in to if its installed or not.

Wow, if I start this, I would have to support every video game that will be asked and the tool will be messy. A separated product may be a better option for this. So, professionals will keep the tool they like without the need to bloat the program with stuff they will probably not use. On the other side, people who want to save their games backups would use a dedicated tool.

manwdaplan wrote:

Also would be great if there was a timeout on a individual file copy. I use this on drives that are having issues sometimes and it would be nice if it would just skip files that take longer there a certain amount of time to copy over.

I have already thought abut something like that. Perhaps something that would monitor the progress bar and skip the file if it does not move for a while.

Fab

#3 2016-08-17 09:08:46

Fab
Administrator

I have added some piece of code for copy timeout. When copying a file, if the progress bar does not move at all for let's say 10 seconds, it will be skipped and an error message is written in the log. That should do the trick. Would be 10 seconds time out OK?

Fab

#4 2016-08-17 23:21:04

shabador

Fab wrote:

Wow, if I start this, I would have to support every video game that will be asked and the tool will be messy. A separated product may be a better option for this. So, professionals will keep the tool they like without the need to bloat the program with stuff they will probably not use. On the other side, people who want to save their games backups would use a dedicated tool.

I'll chime in with a humble(?) wish/suggestion.

What would be a nice feature, that relates to this, is a function to have a configurable section like "extra folders" that you could save/append/edit default selections to. Then do a "if folder in database exists = copy" (need to omit warnings in the log about "folder does not exist" of course). No bloat for the tech that runs default settings (or insane maintenance for you with all the weird software that some customers use).

For me, the reason is that there's a couple of applications that are more popular in some countries then others. In Norway, for example, I often have quite a few customers with some type of Genealogy software that saves its database in %appdata%. Also, of course, a couple of parents coming in with their kids computer with the .minecraft or .technic folder. There's also people keeping their phone backups in these default locations.

Another wish: Backup of all subdirectories of %userprofile% and %public% except the hidden junctions, system directories and "Searches", "Tracing", etc... For some reason, some people have a tendency to create custom folders and store their pictures outside of the default folders. The few that actually creates folder directly on C:\ (or worse, subdirectories in system directories) we could/should handle with the regular "extra folder" option and a stern talking to.

This might not be cost effective dev work for such a small demand, that is solvable with a couple of seconds of micromanaging, but I thought I'd air my thoughts. These features would be greatly appreciated by at least some of us.

#5 2016-08-19 23:47:22

manwdaplan

Fab wrote:

I have added some piece of code for copy timeout. When copying a file, if the progress bar does not move at all for let's say 10 seconds, it will be skipped and an error message is written in the log. That should do the trick. Would be 10 seconds time out OK?

10 seconds is perfect. This would work. Thanks for the reply.

#6 2016-08-19 23:49:30

manwdaplan

shabador wrote:
Fab wrote:

I'll chime in with a humble(?) wish/suggestion.

What would be a nice feature, that relates to this, is a function to have a configurable section like "extra folders" that you could save/append/edit default selections to. Then do a "if folder in database exists = copy" (need to omit warnings in the log about "folder does not exist" of course). No bloat for the tech that runs default settings (or insane maintenance for you with all the weird software that some customers use).

For me, the reason is that there's a couple of applications that are more popular in some countries then others. In Norway, for example, I often have quite a few customers with some type of Genealogy software that saves its database in %appdata%. Also, of course, a couple of parents coming in with their kids computer with the .minecraft or .technic folder. There's also people keeping their phone backups in these default locations.

Another wish: Backup of all subdirectories of %userprofile% and %public% except the hidden junctions, system directories and "Searches", "Tracing", etc... For some reason, some people have a tendency to create custom folders and store their pictures outside of the default folders. The few that actually creates folder directly on C:\ (or worse, subdirectories in system directories) we could/should handle with the regular "extra folder" option and a stern talking to.

This might not be cost effective dev work for such a small demand, that is solvable with a couple of seconds of micromanaging, but I thought I'd air my thoughts. These features would be greatly appreciated by at least some of us.

I love this idea, this would solve my request and allow for the expansion of different products, without overwhelming you. You might be able to keep track of the most popular locations and add them to your product.

#7 2016-09-26 06:41:59

AzztechAU

I agree with the above, as much as us professionals don't want a bloated program it is better than not getting a specific game/program directory that the customer needed. I think shabador had a great way of adding this in without it being too painful for the people that don't want it.

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] ClaudeBot

Board footer