Fab's AutoBackup forums

Welcome to Fab's AutoBackup technical support forums
Bienvenue sur les forums de support technique de Fab's AutoBackup

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Due to a large amount of fake accounts registrations for advertising purpose (spam), this forum does not accept new registrations any longer.
You can still browse existing threads to find the help you are looking for. If you do not find it and have questions, please use this contact form.

====================================

En raison d'un nombre important d'enregistrements de faux comptes utilisateurs à des fins de spam (publicité non sollicitée), il n'est désormais plus possible de s'enregistrer sur les forums de support technique.
Vous pouvez toujours parcourir les sujets existants pour trouver ce que vous recherchez. Si vous ne trouvez pas l'information et avez des questions, veuillez utiliser ce formulaire de contact.

#1 2016-09-18 13:40:32

ell

[SOLVED] Fabs6 pro skipping owners documents in XP

I got in a old dell dimension XP, with dead mobo and proceeded to backup up the data with fabs, but for some reason it totally skipped important folders in the owners acct. but it did copy all the other data and other accts and data. I tried twice, both times fail, I'm thinking its a permission issue but never had this happen before. The files were his critical excel folders in his documents folder. I looked at the log and it just says WARNING copy error and nothing more, the disk is totally fine, folders and files are visible. Tried running fabs as admin, still skipped all the vital folders. Ideas? Is this a ownership issue, I'm not seeing any options for it in fabs6pro

Last edited by ell (2016-09-18 13:41:31)

#2 2016-09-18 13:43:42

Fab
Administrator

Re: [SOLVED] Fabs6 pro skipping owners documents in XP

Hi,
permissions should not be an issue as it can take ownership of i-files by itself.
I guess I have to set a XP home virtual machine ti make some tests.
What version of Fab's Autobackup 6 pro are you running?

Fab

#3 2016-09-18 13:49:53

ell

Fab wrote:

Hi,
permissions should not be an issue as it can take ownership of i-files by itself.
I guess I have to set a XP home virtual machine ti make some tests.
What version of Fab's Autobackup 6 pro are you running?

ver. 6.4.1.27235
Pretty sure its a ownership/permission issue on the folders, I made a image of the drive and i'm going to try to boot to it in a working machine and inspect the folders further, I was able to copy and open them in linux easily.

#4 2016-09-18 13:55:29

Fab
Administrator

This version is not the latest. You should first make sure you are using the latest version before any technical request.
That said, what os are you running on the machine you hooked the drive to ?

I am currently setting an XP Home machine to make some tests.

Fab

#5 2016-09-18 14:03:35

ell

Windows 7 pro, thanks for looking into this so quick, guess I should have paid closer attention to the logs, customer freaked out when the files were missing. I told him I would try to recover them, I assumed the disc was bad, it was bouncing around loose inside this ancient pc with a fried motherboard and dead power supply. I performed data recovery and discovered them fully in tact, and the old 40 gig hard drive in perfect condition!

#6 2016-09-18 14:05:52

Fab
Administrator

Can I have a list of the users accounts on this drive? And what are password protected?

Fab

#7 2016-09-18 14:19:42

Fab
Administrator

A new test with the latest version in debug mode is also welcome.
To enable the debug mode, you need to right-click the program's title bar and select "debug mode". Then perform bakup job the exact way you did on the first attempts. When you will close Fab's AutoBackup 6 Pro, there will be a debug feedback form to fill that will send me some information. Hopefully, I will be able to reproduce that problem.

Fab

#8 2016-09-18 14:25:50

ell

How do tell if they're password protected in xp? Can't get the clone to boot in my machine yet. How do I run it in debugging mode?

#9 2016-09-18 14:29:53

Fab
Administrator

ell wrote:

How do tell if they're password protected in xp? Can't get the clone to boot in my machine yet. How do I run it in debugging mode?

The debug mode enable procedure is described in my previous post:

To enable the debug mode, you need to right-click the program's title bar and select "debug mode". Then perform bakup job the exact way you did on the first attempts. When you will close Fab's AutoBackup 6 Pro, there will be a debug feedback form to fill that will send me some information. Hopefully, I will be able to reproduce that problem.

About the password protected accounts, if the customer did not say it to you, then you have no way to know. Let's say they all are: this is the worst possible case.

Fab

#10 2016-09-18 14:42:14

ell

and the plot thickens, I pulled his workorder, yes the account is password protected. Ran the backup in debug mode, no errors at all in the log, but the folders are still missing from the recovered folder. I sent the log, I'm updating the app  then i'll try again

tried with the newest fabs, still skips the folders, doesn't even mention them in the logs, no errors. weird

heres a screen cap of both the fabs backup and the drive1474210496_missing.jpg

Last edited by ell (2016-09-18 14:55:52)

#11 2016-09-18 16:06:59

ell

ok, heres more info. I got the system image to boot from another old pc I had in the shop. It shows only two user accounts, Darryl (which is the owner acct showing in fabs) and ellie mae. Fabs detected many more (jpeg) 1474214630_users.jpg
I logged into Darryl user with password and the files show, no trouble accessing or opening.

#12 2016-09-18 16:09:58

Fab
Administrator

Same issue with the latest version ?

Fab

#13 2016-09-18 16:11:14

ell

Fab wrote:

Same issue with the latest version ?

yes, I ran sfc on the drive too, still skips them

#14 2016-09-18 16:12:29

Fab
Administrator

Ok,
I have enough clues to start investigations on my side

Fab

#15 2016-09-18 16:14:45

ell

I'm kind of in a pickle, don't know whether to charge him for data recovery or not, can't really tell which is at fault the drive or fabs, hope we find a solution.

#16 2016-09-18 16:37:35

Fab
Administrator

ell wrote:

I'm kind of in a pickle, don't know whether to charge him for data recovery or not, can't really tell which is at fault the drive or fabs, hope we find a solution.

If it is a permission issue, you should take ownership of the owner account and set permissions on it. If the files are grabbed correctly then it was that. It can be related with the owner account name change. If I understand well, the account in the users profiles is "owner" and it is named "Darryl" within windows, so, this may be the problem's source too. I need some time to test all these possibilities since I have to set up a similar computer, put dummy files in it and test and test again

Fab

#17 2016-09-18 16:38:12

ell

Heres more info, I'm finding I cannot open those specific folders in my bench windows 10 pc from the cloned drive plugged into it, I get permission denied, changing access permissions fails, however I am able to open the files I copied in winpe and burned to disc.

#18 2016-09-18 16:43:50

ell

Fab wrote:
ell wrote:

If it is a permission issue, you should take ownership of the owner account and set permissions on it. If the files are grabbed correctly then it was that. It can be related with the owner account name change. If I understand well, the account in the users profiles is "owner" and it is named "Darryl" within windows, so, this may be the problem's source too. I need some time to test all these possibilities since I have to set up a similar computer, put dummy files in it and test and test again

ahh, this would explain it, they messed around with the accounts and that would explain why I can't open those folders in my windows pc. I wonder how I can prevent this from happening again, accounts getting renamed I see frequently. I did take ownership of the documents folder, but it still wouldn't let me open them

Last edited by ell (2016-09-18 16:44:17)

#19 2016-09-18 16:46:18

ell

OK, must be a permission issue, I booted from a winpe disc I had made with fabs6 6.4.1.27235 on it and the backup performed perfectly, all folders copied. So maybe I'll stick to running in pe mode for now just to be safe.

Last edited by ell (2016-09-18 17:07:08)

#20 2016-09-18 19:19:23

ell

Fab wrote:
ell wrote:

I tried to take ownership of the owner's documents in the cloned drive this time in another win 10 machine,and I was able to change it to "everyone" and access the files.

#21 2016-09-18 19:21:55

Fab
Administrator

ell wrote:

I tried to take ownership of the owner's documents in the cloned drive this time in another win 10 machine,and I was able to change it to "everyone" and access the files.

OK,
Are you able to copy the files with Fab's AutoBackup now?

Fab

#22 2016-09-18 21:11:30

ell

Fab wrote:
ell wrote:

OK,
Are you able to copy the files with Fab's AutoBackup now?

I went back to the same win 7 machine, connected the clone with "everybody" ownership on the documents folder. Fired up fabs new version from my usb drive, same as before, same copy errors showed up, finished the backup and checked the archive and the folders were there!? So now I suspected maybe my backup usb drive, ran chkdsk and defrag, everything fine. Deleted the archive and tried again, perfect no errors and everything there. ????

#23 2016-09-19 07:08:01

Fab
Administrator

That is great you finally got the files.
About the copy errors, a while back, I fixed an issue where files were copied but hidden on the backup.
That is the problem you may have had: the files were there but as soon as they were hidden, the program could not see them correctly and sent a warning in the log. That is typically why it is important to always use the latest release. The one you were using was released in April 4th this year an there has been 5 updates since.

Anyway, I have encountered a permission issue with a windows XP home virtual machine's hard drive:
- I have set up a "owner" account on it, set a password and replied "yes" for the files becoming private for other users. This way, the owner account is totally locked up.
- I renamed this account "Darryl" and put some file in the "my documents" folder.
- I have added all the others users accounts like it is on your drive.
- Then I powered off the VM and attached a copy of its virtual hard disk to a Win7 VM.
When I selected the hooked drive in Fab's AutoBackup, it just could not see the Owner user profile at all.

I guess I know what will be fixed with next update.

Fab

#24 2016-09-19 11:42:49

ell

Actually that is exactly what happened, in my very first attempt to backup his data with the old version the "owner" acct wasn't visible at all, I tried again and then it was there, but skipped the folders. Seems odd though that his pics and other files were copied, just not the the excel folders within his documents. Updating fabs and making "everybody" owner fixed it on 2nd try.   The hidden issue I had was with the newest version of fabs too, the log showed errors, but the files were correctly copied, but I ran it again and everything went fine.

The folders were completely visible and accessible from the cloned drive when I booted from it from a working pc. I think I'm going to skip charging him for data recovery because of that.  Thanks, I will keep my fabs updated in the future!

Last edited by ell (2016-09-19 11:46:26)

#25 2016-09-19 12:40:50

Fab
Administrator

I have good news: I have fixed the problem in my development build. Now, it checks the user profile this way: when it tries to look at the ntuser.dat file (the user's account registry) and does not find it (that is the case when there is a permission restriction), it checks if it has enough rights to write a text file in it. If not, it takes the folder's ownership and all of its content and tries again. If it still does not find any ntuser.dat file, then it does not add the profile to the available users list.
The next official version will be fine. Do you want a test build download link to see if it is OK for you?

Fab

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] ClaudeBot

Board footer