Fab's AutoBackup forums

Welcome to Fab's AutoBackup technical support forums
Bienvenue sur les forums de support technique de Fab's AutoBackup

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Due to a large amount of fake accounts registrations for advertising purpose (spam), this forum does not accept new registrations any longer.
You can still browse existing threads to find the help you are looking for. If you do not find it and have questions, please use this contact form.

====================================

En raison d'un nombre important d'enregistrements de faux comptes utilisateurs à des fins de spam (publicité non sollicitée), il n'est désormais plus possible de s'enregistrer sur les forums de support technique.
Vous pouvez toujours parcourir les sujets existants pour trouver ce que vous recherchez. Si vous ne trouvez pas l'information et avez des questions, veuillez utiliser ce formulaire de contact.

#26 2016-09-19 12:45:19

ell

Re: [SOLVED] Fabs6 pro skipping owners documents in XP

Fab wrote:

I have good news: I have fixed the problem in my development build. Now, it checks the user profile this way: when it tries to look at the ntuser.dat file (the user's account registry) and does not find it (that is the case when there is a permission restriction), it checks if it has enough rights to write a text file in it. If not, it takes the folder's ownership and all of its content and tries again. If it still does not find any ntuser.dat file, then it does not add the profile to the available users list.
The next official version will be fine. Do you want a test build download link to see if it is OK for you?

wow, I wish I could code, yes please send me the link and I'll test!

#27 2016-09-19 12:50:03

Fab
Administrator

ell wrote:

yes please send me the link and I'll test!

I have just done it via private message.
Just reply here in the public thread for the feedback.

Thanks

Fab

#28 2016-09-19 14:12:00

ell

Bummer, tried the backup on the original ide drive with the new beta fab's, same result.

#29 2016-09-19 14:22:12

Fab
Administrator

Wait a minute: have you already changed anything with permissions on the source drive or have you let the owner user profile like it was originally?
My test was with an untouched Windows XP drive with the owner account password protected. I have not tried to access it using the windows explorer before. That may explain why you get a different result. I assume that you would not have to try that if the program worked well in a first place, so, that would not happen in real life.

Fab

#30 2016-09-19 14:31:35

ell

Fab wrote:

Wait a minute: have you already changed anything with permissions on the source drive or have you let the owner user profile like it was originally?
My test was with an untouched Windows XP drive with the owner account password protected. I have not tried to access it using the windows explorer before. That may explain why you get a different result. I assume that you would not have to try that if the program worked well in a first place, so, that would not happen in real life.

I changed the permission on the cloned drive, I ran the beta on the original. I also managed to make a bootable clone that I got running on another old pc it shows the folders in question are not individually password protected, only the user acct is.

#31 2016-09-19 14:48:21

Fab
Administrator

Here is my test:
- How the owner account's security settings looked like when I hooked the XP drive to my Win7 virtual machine with no modifications from Win7. I did not even tried to open it through the Windows explorer. Note that is just like I have hooked the drive in a USB craddle/box straight to a SATA port (I mean it is read/write enabled, clones may be just read only and then, the problem will always remain no matter what I do):
01-Before_Fabs_Use.png

- How does the Fab's AutoBackup 6 Pro actual release (6.5.6100.48481) detects the XP users (owner account is missing due to that permission issue):
01-No_owner_in_official_release.png

- How does the test build see the user accounts (note that the owner account is visible now):
03-owner_appears_in_test_build.png

- "Owner" user profile's ownership now belongs to the Administrators group:
04-ownership_now_belongs_to_administrators.png

- Administrators group also haves full control permissions on that folder:
05-administrators_have_full_control_permissions.png

- Let's backup "My documents" from this account (I have a few files in it):
06-backup_files.png

No copy error. I am doing something wrong here ?

Fab

#32 2016-09-19 17:14:04

ell

ok, well heres my problem, I cannot even right-right and open properties on any of the accts, its not accessible in win 7, it just spins and spins the only way I could was from winpe or from a clone, heres what I see in explorer though1474305223_users.jpg

#33 2016-09-19 17:25:44

Fab
Administrator

ell wrote:

ok, well heres my problem, I cannot even right-right and open properties on any of the accts, its not accessible in win 7, it just spins and spins the only way I could was from winpe or from a clone, heres what I see in explorer though

If even under windows you cannot do anything, I doubt this is something that can be fixed.
Anyway, there was really a problem with user profiles take ownership feature that could be sorted out and I thank you very much for this.

Fab

#34 2016-09-19 17:41:20

ell

I have great news for you, I decided to give it a go on my bench win 10 machine. Tried the newest fabs stable first, fail, did not show the owners acct in fabs. Went back and tried your test fabs, worked! at least the target folders got copied, then there was a disc reading error so I think its safe to conclude the xp disc has some kind of security/windows corruption. I would appreciate some kind of heads up when you finalize the new version!

Last edited by ell (2016-09-19 17:42:32)

#35 2016-09-19 19:05:52

Fab
Administrator

ell wrote:

I have great news for you, I decided to give it a go on my bench win 10 machine. Tried the newest fabs stable first, fail, did not show the owners acct in fabs. Went back and tried your test fabs, worked! at least the target folders got copied, then there was a disc reading error so I think its safe to conclude the xp disc has some kind of security/windows corruption. I would appreciate some kind of heads up when you finalize the new version!

Yes, that makes sense.
I think I will release it within a couple of days.

Fab

#36 2016-09-21 09:35:42

Fab
Administrator

ell wrote:

I would appreciate some kind of heads up when you finalize the new version!

Hey,
I found out that there was he same issue when the protected user account was on the current system drive, so, I modified a bit the test version you downloaded. Now, it is working fine, except if the running operating system is Windows XP because this system does not have the Microsoft "takeown.exe" command line utility which is used to take folders ownership. The first Windows that have it is Vista. There are still ways to get through it :
- Change the ownership and permissions manually using Windows Explorer (in safe mode if the XP is Home edition)
or
- Hook the drive to a windows Vista or greater version.
or
- Use a WinPE boot disk (from VistaPE to Win10SE).

If you want to test this one, you just have to use the download link I sent you a couple of days ago.

Fab

#37 2016-09-21 11:41:14

ell

cool, doubt anybody would use a xp machine anyways these days on their bench. I still have a image, (he picked up the drive and his dvd with folders on it) I will test again!

Last edited by ell (2016-09-21 11:42:21)

#38 2016-09-21 11:44:13

Fab
Administrator

ell wrote:

cool, doubt anybody would use a xp machine anyways these days on their bench. I still have a image, (he picked up the drive and his dvd with folders on it) I will test again!

If things are right, it should react exactly the same way the previous test version did. You should not see a difference.
I just want to be sure I have not broken something else wink

Fab

#39 2016-09-21 15:11:42

ell

Now I'm totally confused. I used to original image (untouched) and ran the testfabs on it from the win 7 machine. No errors, saw owners acct fine but still skipped the folders. So I decided to try again on my win 10 bench, same scenario, but this time it took a while to take ownership, then it backed up everything perfectly. So I went back to the win 7 machine to try again, this time is worked perfectly too??!  Here are two screen caps of the security settings from the original image after the backups1474470589_folder.jpg1474470616_owners.jpg

#40 2016-09-21 16:17:45

Fab
Administrator

Since you already had issues with permissions within the Win7 explorer itself and not the Win10, I would rely on the win10 only. The take ownership process can be long since it is applied to the entire user profile. Slower but more efficient.
Last point: the users group added by the program is administrators, not everyone. I choosed this to keep some minimal confidentiality.

Fab

#41 2016-09-21 23:29:08

ell

I tried it again after running chkdsk, sfc and resetting permissions on my win 7 machine and it looks like its blocking fabs from creating the administrators group1474500501_bad_owner.jpg

#42 2016-09-22 04:45:57

ell

I've determined my windows 7 machine to be at fault, the test fabs did improve access to the hidden owner acct but for some reason my win 7 machine had a problem with permissions. I swapped it for Windows 10 and is all good  wink

#43 2016-09-22 05:53:25

Fab
Administrator

ell wrote:

I've determined my windows 7 machine to be at fault, the test fabs did improve access to the hidden owner acct but for some reason my win 7 machine had a problem with permissions. I swapped it for Windows 10 and is all good  wink

Fortunately, this is not a Windows 7 issue since it worked great with my Windows 7 virtual machine.
This is great news. I will be quite busy today so, I am not sure I will be able to release that version officially. I will do it as soon as possible because I do not want to let an issue like that out there.
Thank you helping me making this program better smile

Fab

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] ClaudeBot

Board footer