Fab's AutoBackup forums

Welcome to Fab's AutoBackup technical support forums
Bienvenue sur les forums de support technique de Fab's AutoBackup

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Due to a large amount of fake accounts registrations for advertising purpose (spam), this forum does not accept new registrations any longer.
You can still browse existing threads to find the help you are looking for. If you do not find it and have questions, please use this contact form.

====================================

En raison d'un nombre important d'enregistrements de faux comptes utilisateurs à des fins de spam (publicité non sollicitée), il n'est désormais plus possible de s'enregistrer sur les forums de support technique.
Vous pouvez toujours parcourir les sujets existants pour trouver ce que vous recherchez. Si vous ne trouvez pas l'information et avez des questions, veuillez utiliser ce formulaire de contact.

#1 2016-12-09 20:30:54

FeistComputers

[SOLVED] no file to copy

Been using this programs since V. 4  love it.  I am a residential repair tech.  But just got some business clients.  They are on a domain.  6 pro backs up everything great to a network share.   But when i move it to new pc, i even move the whole transfer folder to the desktop i'm working on, login as them, it doesn't move the desktop, documents, favorites, basically nothing in the users personal files.  It just says No file to copy, i feel like a fool but on residential pc's its worked for years.  What am i missing?

Also the Command Line Builder i'm trying for the first time.  It just comes up for about 10 sec and disappears.  Trying to save to a remote share too. Please help.

#2 2016-12-09 20:44:03

Fab
Administrator

Re: [SOLVED] no file to copy

Hi,
To be honest, I have never tried to put the backup on the user's desktop prior to restore. I would prefer put this on the system drive's root or something like that.
About the command line use, can you post your script here?

Fab

#3 2016-12-09 23:12:26

Fab
Administrator

I will continue the discussion here instead of private messages. Now that an issue has been exposed in public, I have to show that I am taking care of it.
Are there some folders redirections set for those domain profiles?

About the command line script you sent me, it appears that you set as target a network drive mapped to N:\
Due to UAC, Fab's AutoBackup 6 Pro cannot reach such drives. You should edit your script and replace the N:\ drive with its UNC path.

Fab

#4 2016-12-12 18:55:37

FeistComputers

Ok, i don't mind posting most of it, just don't think I should post everything out in the open such as file names, user names and such for the world to see.  I ran debug on the backup. I will private message you that ok.

#5 2016-12-12 18:59:25

FeistComputers

ok looking at files instead of putting it into users folder its putting into administrator folder.  That must be our issue with the restore.  PM the debug file.

#6 2016-12-12 19:04:57

Fab
Administrator

FeistComputers wrote:

ok looking at files instead of putting it into users folder its putting into administrator folder.  That must be our issue with the restore.  PM the debug file.

There is nothing to PM if you run the job in debug mode (right-click the program's title bar and select "debug mode"). This will generate reports that will be sent to my mailbox.

Fab

#7 2016-12-12 19:05:37

FeistComputers

ok perfect, should be there then.

#8 2016-12-12 19:07:40

Fab
Administrator

FeistComputers wrote:

ok perfect, should be there then.

I have no debug feedback in my mailbox. Have you sent anything?

Fab

#9 2016-12-12 19:10:12

FeistComputers

I am in a business enviroment.  It might be blocked.  can i send you the log directly to your email.  Sorry for trouble.

#10 2016-12-12 19:12:10

FeistComputers

I sent part of it, that shows some going into administrator folder instead of end
users folder

#11 2016-12-12 19:13:31

Fab
Administrator

Have you run Fab's AutoBackup in debug mode?

Fab

#12 2016-12-12 19:18:56

FeistComputers

yes the backup and restore, but it must not be getting out of the domain due to BANK security.  Strict

#13 2016-12-12 19:19:48

Fab
Administrator

Also, Fab's AutoBackup relies on the registry to get folders paths.
A copy of the user's profile system hidden "ntuser.dat" file can be helpful for me understanding what is wrong

Fab

#14 2016-12-12 19:21:21

Fab
Administrator

FeistComputers wrote:

yes the backup and restore, but it must not be getting out of the domain due to BANK security.  Strict

Understood. Any ntuser.dat file is not an option in this case.

Fab

#15 2016-12-12 19:25:23

Fab
Administrator

I am pretty sure there is a problem in the user profile's registry.
Are the paths in the "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Explorer\Shell Folders" pointing to the right folders?

Fab

#16 2016-12-12 19:26:40

FeistComputers

Fab wrote:
FeistComputers wrote:

Understood. Any ntuser.dat file is not an option in this case.

Do you mean for sending debug? If you pm me your email i can send debug report out over a email.

#17 2016-12-12 20:33:35

FeistComputers

Ok so i'm loggin in as her, but she is not admin, so i have to put in my credentials for the restore to run. Thus its going into the admin folder. We were thinking turn off UAC and make a batch file to give admin rights to user, then another to take them away when done.  Seems like a pain, is there a work around for this. Or am i completely wrong in my findings.

#18 2016-12-12 21:17:42

Fab
Administrator

FeistComputers wrote:

Ok so i'm loggin in as her, but she is not admin, so i have to put in my credentials for the restore to run. Thus its going into the admin folder. We were thinking turn off UAC and make a batch file to give admin rights to user, then another to take them away when done.  Seems like a pain, is there a work around for this. Or am i completely wrong in my findings.

I could provide a download link to the Fab's AutoBackup 6 consumer version. This one does not require administrator rights.

What about the registry values for shell folders in "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Explorer\Shell Folders". Can you send a screen shot of this in the user's profile?
registry.jpg
Use PM or email as you want.

Fab

#19 2016-12-12 22:07:34

FeistComputers

I'd be happy to try the consumer version as long as it does what we need. Would it miss anything the pro version does?

#20 2016-12-12 22:13:26

Fab
Administrator

FeistComputers wrote:

I'd be happy to try the consumer version as long as it does what we need. Would it miss anything the pro version does?

It can just handle the current user profile. This was just a proposal to work around the problems you have.
Is the registry screen shot you PM me from the user profile you are trying to restore? If it is, then the issue is thee. All the shell folders values are linked to the administrator user profile.

Fab

#21 2016-12-12 22:23:54

FeistComputers

I guess i have come from the EZ residential world. And not sure how to fix the shell folder issue.   Will the consumer issue do public folders, Nk2 file and outlook signatures and such.  I have to take off for the day.  Send me a link if this is easiest way.  I will pester you again tomorrow morning.  smile  Thanks for your help Fab, you are quick.

#22 2016-12-12 22:32:39

Fab
Administrator

I guess the default user profile has been copied from the administrator profile. This explains why the paths lead to the administrator's folders locations.
I can write a batch file that can fix this prior to restore. You will just have to save run it before the restore job. Of course, you will have to do this logged as this user or it will not work.

Fab

#23 2016-12-12 22:56:29

Fab
Administrator

Here is the script to run on each user profile to be restored:

Copy this to Notepad and save it as a .cmd file (in example, "reset_shell_folders.cmd")

REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders" /v "{1B3EA5DC-B587-4786-B4EF-BD1DC332AEAE}" /d "%UserProfile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Libraries" /f
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders" /v "{374DE290-123F-4565-9164-39C4925E467B}" /d "%UserProfile%\Downloads" /f
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders" /v "{4C5C32FF-BB9D-43B0-B5B4-2D72E54EAAA4}" /d "%UserProfile%\Saved Games" /f
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders" /v "{56784854-C6CB-462B-8169-88E350ACB882}" /d "%UserProfile%\Contacts" /f
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders" /v "{7D1D3A04-DEBB-4115-95CF-2F29DA2920DA}" /d "%UserProfile%\Searches" /f
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders" /v "{A520A1A4-1780-4FF6-BD18-167343C5AF16}" /d "%UserProfile%\AppData\LocalLow" /f
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders" /v "{BFB9D5E0-C6A9-404C-B2B2-AE6DB6AF4968}" /d "%UserProfile%\Links" /f
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders" /v "Administrative Tools" /d "%UserProfile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Administrative Tools" /f
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders" /v "AppData" /d "%UserProfile%\AppData\Roaming" /f
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders" /v "Cache" /d "%UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files" /f
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders" /v "CD Burning" /d "%UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Burn\Burn" /f
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders" /v "Cookies" /d "%UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies" /f
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders" /v "Desktop" /d "%UserProfile%\Desktop" /f
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders" /v "Favorites" /d "%UserProfile%\Favorites" /f
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders" /v "Fonts" /d "C:\Windows\Fonts" /f
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders" /v "History" /d "%UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\History" /f
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders" /v "Local AppData" /d "%UserProfile%\AppData\Local" /f
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders" /v "My Music" /d "%UserProfile%\Music" /f
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders" /v "My Pictures" /d "%UserProfile%\Pictures" /f
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders" /v "My Video" /d "%UserProfile%\Videos" /f
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders" /v "NetHood" /d "%UserProfile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Network Shortcuts" /f
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders" /v "Personal" /d "%UserProfile%\Documents" /f
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders" /v "PrintHood" /d "%UserProfile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Printer Shortcuts" /f
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders" /v "Programs" /d "%UserProfile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs" /f
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders" /v "Recent" /d "%UserProfile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent" /f
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders" /v "SendTo" /d "%UserProfile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo" /f
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders" /v "Start Menu" /d "%UserProfile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu" /f
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders" /v "Startup" /d "%UserProfile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup" /f
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders" /v "Templates" /d "%UserProfile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Templates" /f

It does not require admin rights to run since it only writes to the user's registry.
Run it before each restore and files should be restored where they have to be.

With this fix, you will not need that consumer version. It would not have worked better anyway because of those wrong shell folders in the registry.

Fab

#24 2016-12-13 20:03:06

FeistComputers

It was a sucess i believe, everything seems to be there.  Thank you so much.

#25 2016-12-14 07:31:06

Fab
Administrator

FeistComputers wrote:

It was a sucess i believe, everything seems to be there.  Thank you so much.

Yes it works fine when the right registry data is there. Here, the administrator user profile has been set up with the company's default settings and then has been copied as default user profile. When a new user account is created on the machine, this default profile is used to create the user's environment and Windows does not update the shell folders registry values. This is why every file went to the administrator's account? With this script, all the values are set to the right paths and everything is fine.
Problem solved!  big_smile

Fab

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] ClaudeBot

Board footer