Fab's AutoBackup forums

Welcome to Fab's AutoBackup technical support forums
Bienvenue sur les forums de support technique de Fab's AutoBackup

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Due to a large amount of fake accounts registrations for advertising purpose (spam), this forum does not accept new registrations any longer.
You can still browse existing threads to find the help you are looking for. If you do not find it and have questions, please use this contact form.

====================================

En raison d'un nombre important d'enregistrements de faux comptes utilisateurs à des fins de spam (publicité non sollicitée), il n'est désormais plus possible de s'enregistrer sur les forums de support technique.
Vous pouvez toujours parcourir les sujets existants pour trouver ce que vous recherchez. Si vous ne trouvez pas l'information et avez des questions, veuillez utiliser ce formulaire de contact.

#1 2017-01-10 02:57:54

pharaoh04

Very Slow Transfers

I've noticed very slow transfer and restore speeds with AutoBackup for a while now. I don't see anyone else posting about this though so I'm wondering if there is something I am doing to cause this. For example, I'm currently doing a 130GB transfer from a USB 3.0 drive on a USB 3.0 port and after 9 hours it still has 10GB to go. This example is pretty typical for my transfers and restores over the past few months. Any ideas on what could be causing this?

#2 2017-01-10 06:18:56

Fab
Administrator

Re: Very Slow Transfers

Hi,
That can come from a lot of things:
- bad ram stick
- failing USB drive
- failing USB cable
- lots of small files in copy list and anti malware eating resources while copying
- driver issue
I often use it with a USB3 SSD and it is lightning fast

Fab

#3 2017-01-10 17:34:51

pharaoh04

Fab wrote:

Hi,
That can come from a lot of things:
- bad ram stick
- failing USB drive
- failing USB cable
- lots of small files in copy list and anti malware eating resources while copying
- driver issue
I often use it with a USB3 SSD and it is lightning fast

I've noticed it with several drives. My best guess is that it could be something with Webroot. That's the only common denominator I can think of. It definitely seems to slow down the most when transferring folders with lots of smaller files.

#4 2017-01-10 21:58:08

CirrusIT

I have been seeing this trend as well. We had a customer complaint today regarding our transfer of their files which prompted me to search the forums. Yesterday I transferred 1 Gig of data (Windows Live Mail) with AutoFabs and it took 10 minutes (a total of 9800 files) where a explorer drag and drop of the windows mail folder only took 2 minutes and 20 seconds. They had a total of 50 gigs they needed transferred however due to how long it would have taken to get these done they opted to cancel and then called to file the complaint.

#5 2017-01-10 22:02:42

Fab
Administrator

Windows explorer is trusted by anti malware. I guess this is why it copies faster. Is that the same thing when the anti malware real time scan feature is disabled?

Fab

#6 2017-01-11 14:06:00

Fab
Administrator

I have made some backup tests with the latest build.
Operating system : 64bit Windows 10 Pro anniversary update 10.0.14393
CPU : Quad core Intel Core i5-6500 @3.20 GHz
RAM : 16 GB DDR4
Motherboard : Asus H170-PRO
Data copied : 58 GB folder with 70836 files in it.
Source drive : Samsung 850 Pro 512GB SSD SATA 6GBPs

Results with Western Digital Datacenter 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 6GBPs as target drive
- AB6 Pro with Kaspersky EndPoint Security 10 enabled : 28 minutes (34 MB/s)
- AB6 Pro with Kaspersky EndPoint Security 10 disabled : 12 minutes (80 MB/s)
- Windows Explorer with Kaspersky EndPoint Security 10 enabled : 17 minutes (57 MB/s)
- Windows Explorer with Kaspersky EndPoint Security 10 disabled : 14 minutes (69 MB/s). I did it twice and it was all the same but I do not believe it could took more time than AutoBackup 6. I guess the machine got more used at this time for some reason.

SATA-TO-SATA.PNG

Results with Seagate Expansion USB3 1D6AP6-500 1TB (5400 RPM 2.5 inch inside) as target drive:
- AB6 Pro with Kaspersky EndPoint Security 10 enabled : 46 minutes (21 MB/s)
- AB6 Pro with Kaspersky EndPoint Security 10 disabled : 26 minutes (37 MB/s)
- Windows Explorer with Kaspersky EndPoint Security 10 enabled : 34 minutes (28 MB/s)
- Windows Explorer with Kaspersky EndPoint Security 10 disabled : 26 minutes (37 MB/s).

SATA-TO-USB3HDD.PNG

Results with Transcend USB3 512 GB SSD
- AB6 Pro with Kaspersky EndPoint Security 10 enabled : 26 minutes (37 MB/s)
- AB6 Pro with Kaspersky EndPoint Security 10 disabled : 8 minutes (120 MB/s)
- Windows Explorer with Kaspersky EndPoint Security 10 enabled : 9 minutes (107 MB/s)
- Windows Explorer with Kaspersky EndPoint Security 10 disabled : 5 minutes (193 MB/s).

SATA-TO-USB3SSD.PNG

Windows Defender was disabled in all tests.
Regarding these results, it is obvious that there is no need for optimization within Fab's AutoBackup. Anyway, the only thing I could do is to disable copied file checking (size and date comparison between source file and target file) and GUI update while copying. This would give negligible results on such job. Most of slowness here came from hardware being used and the anti-malware scanning everything. In a first place, I advise to put AutoBackup6Pro.exe in the anti-malware exclusion list.

Fab

#7 2017-01-12 17:52:28

pharaoh04

Fab wrote:

Windows Defender was disabled in all tests.
Regarding these results, it is obvious that there is no need for optimization within Fab's AutoBackup. Anyway, the only thing I could do is to disable copied file checking (size and date comparison between source file and target file) and GUI update while copying. This would give negligible results on such job. Most of slowness here came from hardware being used and the anti-malware scanning everything. In a first place, I advise to put AutoBackup6Pro.exe in the anti-malware exclusion list.

Thanks for the info. I will try disabling Webroot next attempt and see if that helps.

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] ClaudeBot

Board footer