Fab's AutoBackup forums

Welcome to Fab's AutoBackup technical support forums
Bienvenue sur les forums de support technique de Fab's AutoBackup

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Due to a large amount of fake accounts registrations for advertising purpose (spam), this forum does not accept new registrations any longer.
You can still browse existing threads to find the help you are looking for. If you do not find it and have questions, please use this contact form.

====================================

En raison d'un nombre important d'enregistrements de faux comptes utilisateurs à des fins de spam (publicité non sollicitée), il n'est désormais plus possible de s'enregistrer sur les forums de support technique.
Vous pouvez toujours parcourir les sujets existants pour trouver ce que vous recherchez. Si vous ne trouvez pas l'information et avez des questions, veuillez utiliser ce formulaire de contact.

#1 2017-01-14 10:29:20

xochipilli

[SOLVED] Windows live mail contacts are not always copied

Hi,

I've been having some cases where the windows live contacts are not being backupped.
Apparently autobackup copies {username}\appdata\local\microsoft\windowslivecontacts
But in some cases the actual contacts are stored in {username}\appdata\local\microsoft\windows live\contacts\default.

I can do this manual when this is needed, but in the case of a reinstall of an non bootable system, after the backup, the user data is overwritten by the new windows installation, sometimes without the actual contacts backupped,  resulting in a pissed off customer.

I'm in no way an expert, but it might an idea to have the data in {username}\appdata\local\microsoft\windows live\contacts\default backupped by fab's autobackup just in case.

Thanks.

#2 2017-01-14 12:22:41

Fab
Administrator

Re: [SOLVED] Windows live mail contacts are not always copied

There are already such instructions within the program but regarding to this, that feature needs to be improved.
This is what I am going to do among other feature requests.

Fab

#3 2017-01-14 13:25:51

xochipilli

Thanks for looking in to it, as allways  smile

Last edited by xochipilli (2017-01-14 13:27:33)

#4 2017-01-16 15:19:46

Fab
Administrator

I have some news about this.
The problem was when a Windows Live Mail 2009 was upgraded to Windows Live Mail 2011 or 2012.
The program checked it there was a "{username}\appdata\local\microsoft\windows live\contacts" folder and set is as source path.
If there was also a "{username}\appdata\local\microsoft\windows live contacts" folder, then it choose it as source. This is a wrong order since this second path is the one that was used by WLM 2009 and it deprecated with 2011 and 2012.
This order has been reversed in my development build and it will not pick up the WLM 2011/2012 path by default.
Of course, this would not work if the user uninstalled 2011/2012 and went back to 2009 but that sounds quite senseless does not it?
So far, tests results are good, even in a case where I backup 2009 files, restore them to a fresh system and install WLM 2012.

Just for my information: WLM is not supported anymore by Microsoft, is there still so much people using it?

Fab

#5 2017-01-17 08:56:20

xochipilli

Great digging through the wlm mess , i don't think you will find a lot wlm11/12 reverted back to 2009 either, i haven't seen wlm 2009 on a customer pc in ages anyway.

Fab wrote:

Just for my information: WLM is not supported anymore by Microsoft, is there still so much people using it?

More then half of my customers still use it, most common users don't like change much

#6 2017-02-08 08:03:37

xochipilli

Thanks for the fix!

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] ClaudeBot

Board footer