Fab's AutoBackup forums

Welcome to Fab's AutoBackup technical support forums
Bienvenue sur les forums de support technique de Fab's AutoBackup

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Due to a large amount of fake accounts registrations for advertising purpose (spam), this forum does not accept new registrations any longer.
You can still browse existing threads to find the help you are looking for. If you do not find it and have questions, please use this contact form.

====================================

En raison d'un nombre important d'enregistrements de faux comptes utilisateurs à des fins de spam (publicité non sollicitée), il n'est désormais plus possible de s'enregistrer sur les forums de support technique.
Vous pouvez toujours parcourir les sujets existants pour trouver ce que vous recherchez. Si vous ne trouvez pas l'information et avez des questions, veuillez utiliser ce formulaire de contact.

#1 2018-03-08 16:21:35

Kaizen

[SOLVED] lots of hidden files unhid

I noticed the following when doing a transfer on a computer. Lots of hidden temp files starting with "~" and lock files starting with ~$ were unhid. It makes the recovery ugly. I am using an older version, I will try and get it updated. The version I was using 6.11.1.31229. Is this a know issue? Has it been fixed with the newer version. For what it is worth, This may have happened on lots of systems, but we just noticed recently on a few.

Thanks for your extremely underpriced product. It is worth 10 times what you charge!

#2 2018-03-08 16:32:36

Fab
Administrator

Re: [SOLVED] lots of hidden files unhid

Hi,
when it copies files, it does not preserve the hidden attribute. I could add something to fix this but I am afraid it will slow down the process by adding more disk access to set the attributes back.
A simple workaround for these files : since they are temp files and obviously are not worth the copy time : why not setting a simple file exclusion for them ?

Fab

#3 2018-03-08 16:44:57

Kaizen

Ugh. I had not idea this has been happening for the past few years and am embarrassed I have missed this and have been returning computers to customers with all of this extra clutter in their folders(it causes confusion for them). We could definitely start using the option to exclude temp files. There are also lots of what I think are old lock files and others that make things seem off when they are unhid. What about a clickable option to keep hidden attributes hidden, so it would allow us the choice to possibly sacrifice speed for accuracy?

From a technical point, why does the attribute ever have to be removed, then placed back? Without any significant programming skills, I would have thought you could just copy the file with its attibutes never changed from the beginning.

Thanks again for everything

#4 2018-03-08 16:48:12

Fab
Administrator

Kaizen wrote:

From a technical point, why does the attribute ever have to be removed, then placed back? Without any significant programming skills, I would have thought you could just copy the file with its attibutes never changed from the beginning.

In fact, this must have been introduced by a buffered copy method that speeds up the whole process. I had to find a way to make it as fast as possible because of complaints about "Microsoft explorer works that fast, why doesn't Fab's ?".
I will fix this ASAP

Fab

#5 2018-03-08 17:24:42

Kaizen

Fab wrote:
Kaizen wrote:

In fact, this must have been introduced by a buffered copy method that speeds up the whole process. I had to find a way to make it as fast as possible because of complaints about "Microsoft explorer works that fast, why doesn't Fab's ?".
I will fix this ASAP

Ahh interesting. thanks for the explanation.

#6 2018-03-08 17:47:46

Fab
Administrator

I finally found a way to do that without visibly impacting performances. Now, it gets the files attributes if it is not excluded, then it will put them back if any file is read-only, hidden or system. Also, f a file is read-only and system, both attributes are set at the same time. Same thing if a file is hidden and system or if the file has the three attributes.
I am preparing a new release.

Fab

#7 2018-03-08 18:52:05

Kaizen

very cool!

#8 2018-03-08 20:09:42

Fab
Administrator

The update is available for download

Fab

#9 2018-03-09 17:50:06

Kaizen

sweet! I will now make sure I get autofabs updated everywhere :-)

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] ClaudeBot

Board footer