Fab's AutoBackup forums

Welcome to Fab's AutoBackup technical support forums
Bienvenue sur les forums de support technique de Fab's AutoBackup

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Due to a large amount of fake accounts registrations for advertising purpose (spam), this forum does not accept new registrations any longer.
You can still browse existing threads to find the help you are looking for. If you do not find it and have questions, please use this contact form.

====================================

En raison d'un nombre important d'enregistrements de faux comptes utilisateurs à des fins de spam (publicité non sollicitée), il n'est désormais plus possible de s'enregistrer sur les forums de support technique.
Vous pouvez toujours parcourir les sujets existants pour trouver ce que vous recherchez. Si vous ne trouvez pas l'information et avez des questions, veuillez utiliser ce formulaire de contact.

#1 2018-08-04 12:01:53

xochipilli

[SOLVED] error restoring multiple users and autobackup makes the users

Hi Fabrice,

I'm having problems lately with restoring.
When i restore multiple users, and let autobackup create some of the users first, the data from those users fails to copy.
Workaround, stop autobackup, login to those newly created users (by autobackup), then restart autobackup (from original user), and all works fine. (windows 10, i've sent the bug reports on 04/10 ; 03/10)

Thanks.

#2 2018-08-04 12:07:40

Fab
Administrator

Re: [SOLVED] error restoring multiple users and autobackup makes the users

Hello,
this is an issue I am trying to fix blindly since it does not occur on my test systems. For some reason, the newly created user profiles are still locked by some process. The workaround for this is to reboot the computer and try again.
I have a development version that is designed to kill every background process that is still running using the new user's account.
Hopefully, that will kick this out once for all. Can you give it a try? If so, I will send you a download link by email

Fab

#3 2018-08-04 13:07:20

xochipilli

Thanks Fab,

I'll gladly try, next time i've got multiple users to restore, system that i had the issue with is allready finished.
I also forgot to mention that the backup was on a network share.

#4 2018-08-04 13:18:17

Fab
Administrator

Then you will test the next official release. I thought you had one just now. I am almost about to release it, just taking care about some cosmetic details.
I do not think that the fact about the backup being on a network share has any impact on that.
When it creates a new user profile, since no user profile folder exists yet on the system, the program runs an executable (systray.exe) with the new user account credentials. This processes closes itself very quickly but I suspect that some other processes run in background and prevents the program from loading the new user's registry hive. Due to this, it failed at paths detection and the rest of the restore/transfer process fails too.
That's why I have added a builtin script that will kill any process that is still running using the new user's credentials. In theory, that should free the user's registry hive and the program should do its job normally.

Fab

#5 2018-08-04 14:11:49

xochipilli

OK, i'll let you know if the problem reoccurs in the next release then smile

#6 2018-08-04 20:00:53

Fab
Administrator

It is out!

Fab

#7 2018-08-08 15:45:35

Fab
Administrator

Well, the "fix" did not work. I have just received an error report from a job like that and it has failed too. I need to find another way to create the new profile structure without having to launch a process.

Fab

#8 2018-08-09 07:02:10

xochipilli

sad
Good luck finding the solution.

#9 2018-08-13 09:59:57

Fab
Administrator

I have just released a new version that sets the read/write permissions to newly created user profiles for the administrators. It may be not the cure for this issue but it is worth a shot anyway. At least, it does not hurt!
I will keep you posted.

Fab

#10 2018-08-14 17:03:52

Fab
Administrator

The issue is still there. I have to remove the ability to create user profiles from the program. I think I have no other choice for now

Edit: I have been able to reproduce the issue. Now, it is just a time question before I kill that ugly thing!

Fab

#11 2018-08-15 09:59:08

Fab
Administrator

It's done. Update online!

Fab

#12 2018-08-16 08:56:59

xochipilli

Thank you!

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1