Fab's AutoBackup forums

Welcome to Fab's AutoBackup technical support forums
Bienvenue sur les forums de support technique de Fab's AutoBackup

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Due to a large amount of fake accounts registrations for advertising purpose (spam), this forum does not accept new registrations any longer.
You can still browse existing threads to find the help you are looking for. If you do not find it and have questions, please use this contact form.

====================================

En raison d'un nombre important d'enregistrements de faux comptes utilisateurs à des fins de spam (publicité non sollicitée), il n'est désormais plus possible de s'enregistrer sur les forums de support technique.
Vous pouvez toujours parcourir les sujets existants pour trouver ce que vous recherchez. Si vous ne trouvez pas l'information et avez des questions, veuillez utiliser ce formulaire de contact.

#1 2018-08-17 19:13:30

TwoZcoops

Function request

HI,

Would it be possible to consider adding support to backup users' onenote notebooks?

#2 2018-08-17 19:14:41

Fab
Administrator

Re: Function request

If there are a way to locate them, why not!

Edit: according to this forum thread, it looks like a real pain to find out where the note books are stored: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/ … td-p/75081

Fab

#3 2018-08-21 13:22:11

TwoZcoops

Thanks for the quick reply, Fab.  This is the same challenge I've had recently.

#4 2019-05-22 08:48:58

Stack-Tech
Website

It appears to me that at least in Windows 10 for me they reside in
C:\Users\Josephur\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.Office.OneNote_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalState\AppData\Local\OneNote\16.0\MasterIndex

But as I'm sure Fabrice already knows from trying to deal with backing up Edge and other Metro apps this path is random and could change if Microsoft releases a new version of OneNote, and the database format could change too, so it makes backing this data up incredibly difficult.

I did find if you run the Office version of OneNote it seems to import the Windows 10 built in UWP OneNote app's notes... but then same problem here it caches them oddly.  I tried running onenote.exe /backuppath C:\blah and it did indeed change the location of the backup folder in the options screen, however when I tell it to backup it says succeeded and creates an Office\16.0 folder inside, but no files and 0 bytes used.  C'mon Microsoft...!

#5 2019-05-22 09:00:57

Fab
Administrator

Stack-Tech wrote:

It appears to me that at least in Windows 10 for me they reside in
C:\Users\Josephur\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.Office.OneNote_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalState\AppData\Local\OneNote\16.0\MasterIndex

But as I'm sure Fabrice already knows from trying to deal with backing up Edge and other Metro apps this path is random and could change if Microsoft releases a new version of OneNote, and the database format could change too, so it makes backing this data up incredibly difficult.

I would say almost impossible. In fact, a lot of these Metro UWP apps use those JetBlue databases that Microsoft seems to love. These things are unmovable from a machine to another, most of the time when Windows build number is not the same between both. Worse, sometimes, it cannot even be moved or copied between 2 users profiles ont the same rig.
That's simple : if it is that kind of app => no way !

I'm glad Microsoft will finally bury their built-in Edge browser and finally push a Chromium based one. At least, backups will work like Chrome's

Fab

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] ClaudeBot

Board footer