Fab's AutoBackup forums

Welcome to Fab's AutoBackup technical support forums
Bienvenue sur les forums de support technique de Fab's AutoBackup

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Due to a large amount of fake accounts registrations for advertising purpose (spam), this forum does not accept new registrations any longer.
You can still browse existing threads to find the help you are looking for. If you do not find it and have questions, please use this contact form.

====================================

En raison d'un nombre important d'enregistrements de faux comptes utilisateurs à des fins de spam (publicité non sollicitée), il n'est désormais plus possible de s'enregistrer sur les forums de support technique.
Vous pouvez toujours parcourir les sujets existants pour trouver ce que vous recherchez. Si vous ne trouvez pas l'information et avez des questions, veuillez utiliser ce formulaire de contact.

#1 2019-04-15 17:52:56

EWT NATE

[SOLVED] Backup is too small

I had this software recommended to me.  It looks like it will be a great program...if I can understand what I'm missing when trying to do a backup.

I have a client that has an old laptop and needs to have his profile transferred to the new laptop.

I created a backup of his profile and selected all the folders within his profile that needed to be backed up.  I intended on copying the backup to the new laptop and restoring the backup.

When the backup finished, it had a zip file created that was only 61mb.  The profile data exceeds 45GB.

Any assistance on this would be helpful.

#2 2019-04-15 18:06:50

Fab
Administrator

Re: [SOLVED] Backup is too small

The program does not create zip files, so, that's a bit surprising. Backup looks like :

X:\Path_To_Backup\YYYY-MM-DD\Computer_Name

It should contain folders and files like :
Folders :

User_Profile_1
User_Profile_2
User_Profile_X
PUBLIC

Files :

Backup.conf
Backup_Log_-_YYYY-MM-DD_-_HH-MM-SS.htm

If that what you have?

By the way, depending on what you selected, the backup's size can be different that what is worth the entire profile.

Fab

#3 2019-04-15 19:01:21

EWT NATE

Now when I try to recreate the backup, it goes through and looks like it is starting.  I see all the folders that it cycles through in preparation to do the backup and then it just sits there.

I check the folder that it is set to go to and I find nothing there.  I also watched task manager while I attempted to run the backup and there was no activity.

I have tried using VSS, but with the same results.

The laptop I am trying to backup is Windows 8.1.

#4 2019-04-15 19:16:32

Fab
Administrator

It looks like there is a lot of files in this backup. When you launched second jobs which the same settings, it compares everything between source drive and the backup.This is why it looks like the program is sitting there, doing nothing but this is not the case. This makes me think it has done its job properly at first attempt.
Are you sure you have got the right folder's size? Like I said, the program does not create ZIP files. The only folder you should care about is X:\Path_To_Backup\YYYY-MM-DD\Computer_Name where X is your backup drive

Then you can compare contents between user's folders and backup sub folders

Fab

#5 2019-04-15 19:49:34

EWT NATE

I believe I found the problem.  I was trying to backup to the source hard drive.  Even though there was enough room, it would not do it.  I attached an external hard drive and the backup started right away.

roll I must have missed that in the instructions.

#6 2019-04-15 19:54:28

Fab
Administrator

As soon as there is enough room, that should not be a problem. Just avoid using desktop or documents (or any other folder like that in a user profile) to store the backup. If you backup from to source drive, choose a folder at its root. You will get better results

Fab

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] ClaudeBot

Board footer