Fab's AutoBackup forums

Welcome to Fab's AutoBackup technical support forums
Bienvenue sur les forums de support technique de Fab's AutoBackup

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Due to a large amount of fake accounts registrations for advertising purpose (spam), this forum does not accept new registrations any longer.
You can still browse existing threads to find the help you are looking for. If you do not find it and have questions, please use this contact form.

====================================

En raison d'un nombre important d'enregistrements de faux comptes utilisateurs à des fins de spam (publicité non sollicitée), il n'est désormais plus possible de s'enregistrer sur les forums de support technique.
Vous pouvez toujours parcourir les sujets existants pour trouver ce que vous recherchez. Si vous ne trouvez pas l'information et avez des questions, veuillez utiliser ce formulaire de contact.

#1 2019-06-02 12:07:53

SimonZerafa

User supplied backup and restore addon modules?

Hi,

Long time owner of V7 Pro and i've just renewed for another year smile

Have you ever looked into allowing users to add their own backup and restore "modules" to V7?

Perhaps as simple as an .INI file structure which specifies how to locate a specific app's data or files and how to restore them when needed.

The V7 UI could then parse this INI file and offer an option within the User or Public sections to back this data up.

I was prompted by a recent job where I needed to move Outlook profiles on the same user account to new Outlook profiles and the number of items that needed to be backed up including the autocomplete database (.NK2) files.

I am fairly sure that there would be other apps (perhaps fairly nitch) which users could add and perhaps share online over time to extend the feature set for V7.

Kind Regards

Simon Zerafa
--

P.S. Optional 7zip compression of backup sets (retaining the existing target data structure) or at last optional for some apps/ Windows Live Mail would be an excellent example with its thousands of relatively small files? ?

Last edited by SimonZerafa (2019-06-02 12:11:57)

#2 2019-06-02 12:14:45

Fab
Administrator

Re: User supplied backup and restore addon modules?

NK2 (in fact, now autocomplete cache) is already supported natively. Making a plugin that could move that from an outlook profile to another  looks like a pain to do, some kind of program inside the program. Not sure how to handle this just parsing an ini file. It would definitely require dedicated GUI items.

Being able to add plugins has been asked a while back in the Fab's AutoBackup 4 Tech days. I have never had enough time to implement it. Of course that would definitely be a great improvement.
For now, most of the time, I add improvements directly in the program upon user asks for them.

Fab

#3 2019-06-02 18:11:58

SimonZerafa

Hi Fab,

Thanks for the reply.

Put the user added modules ideam on the wish list then please.

What about selectively using 7zip (or similar) to make the backups more space efficient? ?

Kind Regards

Simon

#4 2019-06-02 18:16:41

Fab
Administrator

Putting this on a wish list is fair enough.
About compression, very old versions used to have it. I've dropped it after some people got their archive corrupted for various reasons, mostly when backing up to damaged file systems. It's definitely better to have just a few corrupted files than an entire archive.

Fab

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] ClaudeBot

Board footer