Fab's AutoBackup forums

Welcome to Fab's AutoBackup technical support forums
Bienvenue sur les forums de support technique de Fab's AutoBackup

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Due to a large amount of fake accounts registrations for advertising purpose (spam), this forum does not accept new registrations any longer.
You can still browse existing threads to find the help you are looking for. If you do not find it and have questions, please use this contact form.

====================================

En raison d'un nombre important d'enregistrements de faux comptes utilisateurs à des fins de spam (publicité non sollicitée), il n'est désormais plus possible de s'enregistrer sur les forums de support technique.
Vous pouvez toujours parcourir les sujets existants pour trouver ce que vous recherchez. Si vous ne trouvez pas l'information et avez des questions, veuillez utiliser ce formulaire de contact.

#1 2019-07-14 04:37:47

Puzzled

Firefox profiles on D: unselectable for backup

Trying the trial version on a Win10 Pro system. The Firefox profile in use is not located in the standard location on the C: but rather on the D: partition on a folder the user created. When I ran the Autobackup and selected this user the software shows the right profile directories i.e. ones on D: drive. However, I can not put a check mark in those directories under the Firefox Profile area in the Autobackup program. Is this by design?

I had to go to other files tab and select the profile directory there. In this particular case if I attempt to restore this folder and the destination machine only has a C: drive aka a normal fresh install will the app allow me to move the destination folder?

#2 2019-07-14 06:06:31

Fab
Administrator

Re: Firefox profiles on D: unselectable for backup

Hello,
Trial version is very limited. It shows you where is located your Firefox profile but does not allow you to select it.
The additional files and folders section you used is designed for items not supported by the app. At restore, it will first try to see if original path is possible (you could have a D drive on source computer but not on the new one). If target path does not exists, it will send that is to C drive with a warning in the log so you know something happened.
I've send to your mailbox a download link for a full featured time trial that will work as a plain licenced version until July 31st.
Let me know if it works for you.

Fab

#3 2019-07-16 19:03:35

Puzzled

Sorry for not replying sooner but it has been a madhouse here lately. Will try the full-featured time trial hopefully later this week and will see how it works.

Thanks again for the offer.

#4 2019-07-17 03:15:28

Puzzled

Is it normal to have thousands of warnings (2413) when backing up a Windows7 Pro single account? As far as I can tell all of the entries mentions C:\VSS_W_ShadowCopy

#5 2019-07-17 04:35:51

Fab
Administrator

Puzzled wrote:

Is it normal to have thousands of warnings (2413) when backing up a Windows7 Pro single account? As far as I can tell all of the entries mentions C:\VSS_W_ShadowCopy

Perhaps it is. This path matches with a VSS shadow copy made from a W:\ drive. What do these warnings say?

Fab

#6 2019-07-17 06:13:21

Puzzled

For example, it seems a majority if not all of the warnings are for VSS_W_ShadwoCopy. Note: OneDrive whose folder is not on C: but another partition W:

WARNING 2019/07/16 - 9:57:55 PM : USER : Copied file's size does not match with original file
WARNING "C:\VSS_W_ShadowCopy\OneDrive\Schematics\Monitors\toshiba\LTM15C458M.pdf" (172414 bytes)
WARNING "J:\AutoBackupTest\USER\archive\OneDrive\Files\Schematics\Monitors\toshiba\LTM15C458M.pdf" (0 bytes)

#7 2019-07-17 06:27:20

Fab
Administrator

It looks like you have found a bug : I guess virtual drives cannot be VSS snapshot and gives errors, so, target file is 0kb. Do you have this on everything or just that OneDrive stuff?

Fab

#8 2019-07-17 14:12:00

Puzzled

A couple of clarifications. This is happening on a Windows10 Pro machine NOT a Windows7 Pro machine. The W: drive is an actual partition on one of the 3 physical hard drives in this computer. One Drive's folder rather than being on C: is for this computer on W:

I redid the AutoBackup and scrolled through the pages of warnings and they are only happening on OneDrive files.

#9 2019-07-17 14:24:11

Fab
Administrator

I did not have to deal with relocated OneDrive folders until now.
I am building a similar configuration on my computer to reproduce the issue.
Edit :this will be a bit trickier as I did it and had no problem backing up files in it, still using default VSS feature.
Did you do something like this when you have relocated yours : https://www.windowscentral.com/how-chan … ndows-10-0 ?
Also, are you using OneDrive's on demand files feature? If so, this may be an explanation as files are in the cloud instead of really on both physical drive and cloud space.

Fab

#10 2019-07-17 15:05:40

Puzzled

Yes that appears to be the procedure I followed to move the OneDrive folder.

On Demand Files feature may indeed be the cause of this issue. With the OneDrive application not running, I went to the OneDrive folder on W: and clicked on the above "Schematics\Monitors\toshiba\LTM15C458M.pdf" and nothing happened. Only after starting One Drive application did the PDF file open.

#11 2019-07-17 15:19:31

Fab
Administrator

Then, I'm pretty sure that files could be copied if OneDrive is running. It looks like this is the culprit

Fab

#12 2019-07-17 15:38:33

Puzzled

Are you saying that if One Drive application was running that AutoBackup would actually download the actual file from the cloud even if the file is on-demand?

Or are you saying Autobaackup would realize that the file in questions is just a place holder for a on-demand file in OneDrive and would not generate all these warnings?

I hope the latter is the case since downloading possibly TBs of files from the cloud may be an undesirable/unwanted result especially in the case for On Demand files.

#13 2019-07-17 15:45:22

Fab
Administrator

Puzzled wrote:

Are you saying that if One Drive application was running that AutoBackup would actually download the actual file from the cloud even if the file is on-demand?

I think it would have do it.

Puzzled wrote:

Or are you saying Autobaackup would realize that the file in questions is just a place holder for a on-demand file in OneDrive and would not generate all these warnings?

It is not designed to detect such a kind of configuration. It's obvious that this must change.

Puzzled wrote:

I hope the latter is the case since downloading possibly TBs of files from the cloud may be an undesirable/unwanted result especially in the case for On Demand files.

I understand the concern. Until I find a way to detect that scenario, it's probably better to unselect OneDrive or shut it down and ignore the warnings

Fab

#14 2019-07-17 16:05:13

Puzzled

OK understand and thanks for the speedy replies and help to solve what was going on.

This issue is probably not just OneDrive only and also affects probably DropBox since I believe they have a similar On-demand like feature. Hopefully, you find a way to detect this type of configuration so users that make heavy use of the Cloud for on-demand storage without sacrificing their hard drive space.

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] ClaudeBot

Board footer