Fab's AutoBackup forums

Welcome to Fab's AutoBackup technical support forums
Bienvenue sur les forums de support technique de Fab's AutoBackup

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Due to a large amount of fake accounts registrations for advertising purpose (spam), this forum does not accept new registrations any longer.
You can still browse existing threads to find the help you are looking for. If you do not find it and have questions, please use this contact form.

====================================

En raison d'un nombre important d'enregistrements de faux comptes utilisateurs à des fins de spam (publicité non sollicitée), il n'est désormais plus possible de s'enregistrer sur les forums de support technique.
Vous pouvez toujours parcourir les sujets existants pour trouver ce que vous recherchez. Si vous ne trouvez pas l'information et avez des questions, veuillez utiliser ce formulaire de contact.

#1 2019-10-10 07:38:21

HaoleBoy

Problem with Additional Folders

Aloha Fab. I have another strange situation. Environment: running Fab's Pro V7 7.1.0.1001 in a Windows 7 VM running on a Linux Mint host. I'm attempting to do a backup of the customer's data. The hard drive is fine (no apparent errors). The drive is attached to the Linux machine using an eSATA docking station.

So, here's my problem. I start Fab's AB and use the 'Select Windows Directory' to navigate to the v:\windows directory. Check the box for the user profile I want and select the output directory and click Next. When I get to the "Extra Files and Folders" window, I click the Additional Folders check box as this user has a bunch of directories in the root of the C: drive that I want to back up.  Unfortunately, the only drive that shows up on this window is the local C: drive of the Windows 7 VM.

Is there something special I have to do to get additional folders from the V: drive? Or am I doing something wrong?

Mahalo,

Harry Z

Additional_folders_window.PNG

#2 2019-10-10 07:47:36

Fab
Administrator

Re: Problem with Additional Folders

The first thing I see is that there is nothing but C drive in this tree and that's definitely not normal. You should also have stuff like "desktop", "documents" etc.. just under "Computer". Can't you test this gainst a physical host to see if it's related to this VM ? If it is, then I will have to set a Linux host on my side and set up a virtual machine like yours. I do not have anything like this right here, so, I'm unable to push tests on my end

Fab

#3 2019-10-10 08:10:20

HaoleBoy

Thanks for the quick response.  Unfortunately, my (physical) Windows 10 machine does not have an eSATA port for me to connect the docking station to. And my USB attached docking station seems to have died. Tomorrow, I will try to boot the Linux machine using a Windows PE disk and try again.

Also, just want to clarify that on the initial Backup window, I do not see the V: drive listed under the "Select Source Hard Drive", but when I click on the "Select Windows Directory" I am able to navigate to v:\windows, and proceed. If this triggers something and you want me to try something in this environment, I will be happy to do so.

Harry Z

Last edited by HaoleBoy (2019-10-10 08:11:13)

#4 2019-10-10 08:14:13

Fab
Administrator

HaoleBoy wrote:

Also, just want to clarify that on the initial Backup window, I do not see the V: drive listed under the "Select Source Hard Drive"

You should not have to do this. But yes, it triggers something in my mind : I'm sure that you virtually plugged this drive after you started Fab's. That would be why it does not appear in that drives selection menu neither in tree view parts. Close Fab's, then start it again.

Fab

#5 2019-10-11 06:58:41

HaoleBoy

Fab wrote:
HaoleBoy wrote:

Also, just want to clarify that on the initial Backup window, I do not see the V: drive listed under the "Select Source Hard Drive"

You should not have to do this. But yes, it triggers something in my mind : I'm sure that you virtually plugged this drive after you started Fab's. That would be why it does not appear in that drives selection menu neither in tree view parts. Close Fab's, then start it again.

Tonight I tried again, this time making sure I attached the customer's hard drive (in the eSATA docking station) to the VM before starting up AB. I also accessed the drive using Windows Explorer to make sure the VM could see the files on the drive. Then I started AB. Same problem as before, the V: drive is not present in the list of Windows drives.  :-(

From your earlier comment, it sounds like you do not have a Linux host with a Win guest available right now. If you want to send me something to test for you, I will be happy to assist.

Also, a different issue, but thought I would mention it.  The scroll wheel on my mouse does not work in the Addition Folders window.

Mahalo for your assistance!

Harry Z

#6 2019-10-11 07:42:47

Fab
Administrator

HaoleBoy wrote:

Tonight I tried again, this time making sure I attached the customer's hard drive (in the eSATA docking station) to the VM before starting up AB. I also accessed the drive using Windows Explorer to make sure the VM could see the files on the drive. Then I started AB. Same problem as before, the V: drive is not present in the list of Windows drives.  :-(

From your earlier comment, it sounds like you do not have a Linux host with a Win guest available right now. If you want to send me something to test for you, I will be happy to assist.

Then I know what I have to do now... First, I need a computer to set up with Linux Mint, then setup a Win 7 VM on it. The only thing I will not have is a eSata dock. I'll have to do that with USB adapter instead.

What linux mint version are you running ?
What Virtualization software are you using ?
Is you Win 7 machine 32 or 64 ?
Perhaps that would be a good thing if you could export VM settings, so I could set one up with the same stuff

HaoleBoy wrote:

Also, a different issue, but thought I would mention it.  The scroll wheel on my mouse does not work in the Addition Folders window.

That's not an issue, just something a a bit annoying as I had to choose between capturing the mouse wheel control over the entire window or just over that folder tree view. I guess this is the less bad choice...

Fab

#7 2019-10-11 07:59:36

HaoleBoy

Fab wrote:

Then I know what I have to do now... First, I need a computer to set up with Linux Mint, then setup a Win 7 VM on it. The only thing I will not have is a eSata dock. I'll have to do that with USB adapter instead.

What linux mint version are you running ?
What Virtualization software are you using ?
Is you Win 7 machine 32 or 64 ?
Perhaps that would be a good thing if you could export VM settings, so I could set one up with the same stuff

Here is the Linux Mint info:

harryz@LinuxBench:~$ sudo cat /etc/linuxmint/info
RELEASE=19.1
CODENAME=tessa
EDITION="Cinnamon"
DESCRIPTION="Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa"
DESKTOP=Gnome
TOOLKIT=GTK
NEW_FEATURES_URL=https://www.linuxmint.com/rel_tessa_cinnamon_whatsnew.php
RELEASE_NOTES_URL=https://www.linuxmint.com/rel_tessa_cinnamon.php
USER_GUIDE_URL=https://www.linuxmint.com/documentation.php
GRUB_TITLE=Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon

VirtualBox version 6.0.12 r133076 (Qt5.9.5)

Win 7 Home Premium, 64-bit

I'm not sure what you mean and how to export the VM settings. (I am no expert on VMs, I just kind of fuddle my way through it with lots of forum searches for whatever setup and/or problem resolution I need to get the VM up and running)

Let me know if you need anything else.

Harry Z

#8 2019-10-11 09:56:36

Fab
Administrator

OK, I'm gathering the stuff I need for this setup. Downloading Mint now.
Just before I start anything that time consuming as this install. How do look like hooked drive in the Explorer ?
My guess is that Virtual Box does not mount them as fixed drives like a "real" windows rig would do. Fab's Components are designed to show only local drives, so, if kind of drive is different, they do not show up in Fab's using usual controls.

Fab

#9 2019-10-11 12:24:22

Fab
Administrator

I have set up a Linux Mint rig with VirtualBox on it. Since you are using eSata drive and I do not have an eSata port on this machine, I have plugged a pulled drive on a SATA port. Behavior should be the same.
I've found something that should do the trick but I'm struggling at hooking that physical drive to the Win7 VM. I've used this command line:

sudo VBoxManage internalcommands createrawvmdk -filename "/home/fab/VirtualBox VMs/vdrive.vmdk" -rawdisk /dev/sdb

Then I tried to attach raw vmdk file to the VM but Virtualbox could not do it because of some kind of permission issue. After all, this looks normal as I had to use sudo, so, it belongs to root and not to fab.
So, I used the following commands to make permissions OK for my current user :

sudo chmod 777 "/home/fab/VirtualBox VMs/vdrive.vmdk"
sudo chown fab:fab "/home/fab/VirtualBox VMs/vdrive.vmdk"

Now permissions are looking fine but VirtualBox keeps saying that it cannot open that vmdk file when I try to attach it (VERR_ACCESS_DENIED). I must be missing something but I don't know what. Still searching but if you could tell me how you attach your drives to your VM, that would be helpful !

Fab

#10 2019-10-11 13:19:20

Fab
Administrator

I had to remove previously created vmdk file, then use the following commands :

sudo usermod -a -G disk $USER
sudo usermod -a -G vboxusers $USER

After that, I've rebooted the linux rig and created a new raw disk using this command (without using sudo this time) :

VBoxManage internalcommands createrawvmdk -filename "/home/fab/VirtualBox VMs/vdrive.vmdk" -rawdisk /dev/sdb

Then, I could attach the drive to my VM from VM's configuration. I've run Fab's against it and had no issue browsing that drive. I've also tested with V letter, just in case but still no issue with it : I can select it in "Select source drive" menu and I see its content in Additional folders tree.

Fab

#11 2019-10-12 03:11:27

HaoleBoy

I am unfamiliar with the commands you posted. I use the technique described in this post to make the drive accessible from my Win 7 VM.

And if you look at this image, it does appear like it is showing up as a network drive.

Capture.PNG

I'll investigate if there is a way to mount the drive as a local drive and not a network drive.

Harry Z

#12 2019-10-14 22:51:53

HaoleBoy

There does not seem to be a way to mount the drive as "local" that does not entail significant risk of data corruption / loss.  Looks like I will have to either change this machine to dual boot (linux + Windows 10) or order a USB attach docking station to work with my "desktop" machine.

Mahalo for your time on this.

Harry Z

#13 2019-10-15 04:59:42

Fab
Administrator

You could also try to use WINE to use it straight under Linux without the need for a virtual machine. I've not tried it myself but I've heard about someone that did and had success with this.

Fab

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] ClaudeBot

Board footer