Fab's AutoBackup forums

Welcome to Fab's AutoBackup technical support forums
Bienvenue sur les forums de support technique de Fab's AutoBackup

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Due to a large amount of fake accounts registrations for advertising purpose (spam), this forum does not accept new registrations any longer.
You can still browse existing threads to find the help you are looking for. If you do not find it and have questions, please use this contact form.

====================================

En raison d'un nombre important d'enregistrements de faux comptes utilisateurs à des fins de spam (publicité non sollicitée), il n'est désormais plus possible de s'enregistrer sur les forums de support technique.
Vous pouvez toujours parcourir les sujets existants pour trouver ce que vous recherchez. Si vous ne trouvez pas l'information et avez des questions, veuillez utiliser ce formulaire de contact.

#1 2020-01-22 07:40:04

PCdoktor

Chrome problem

Greetings,

My first post (two years happy user wink ) yay. Anyway here is problem I backup user profile before reinstalling OS. After all my work, installing apps i restored saved profile. This user have needs for quality assurance extensions in chrome, installed them too and after closing/reopen chrome extensions just disappear. I also have that problem on my PC but I was too lazy to ask for solution. Now question what I do wrong big_smile.

Thank you.

Last edited by PCdoktor (2020-01-22 07:44:03)

#2 2020-01-22 07:54:45

Fab
Administrator

Re: Chrome problem

Hello,
The first thing to know is that Fab's AutoBackup does not handle full Chrome profile anymore since it's encrypted. Encryption key is tied to user's SID and who knows what else. This SID changes as soon as user profile changes which is the case when migrating to another machine or worse, another user profile on the same machine.
Upon transfer, Chrome will just reset everything in the profile because it will think that a malware has corrupted the data since current encryption key does not match the one that's been used with restore profile.
Because of this, Fab's AutoBackup now only focuses on bookmarks instead of entire Chrome profile. Domain profiles are not affected but extensions often have to be reinstalled. Saved passwords do not migrate either.
The best thing to do is to use Chrome's built-in sync feature to transfer everything

Fab

#3 2020-01-22 08:04:15

PCdoktor

Thank you for this info, I will try to check backup only bookmarks check box. I will inform you is that fixed problem with chrome profile.

Fab wrote:

Hello,
The first thing to know is that Fab's AutoBackup does not handle full Chrome profile anymore since it's encrypted. Encryption key is tied to user's SID and who knows what else. This SID changes as soon as user profile changes which is the case when migrating to another machine or worse, another user profile on the same machine.
Upon transfer, Chrome will just reset everything in the profile because it will think that a malware has corrupted the data since current encryption key does not match the one that's been used with restore profile.
Because of this, Fab's AutoBackup now only focuses on bookmarks instead of entire Chrome profile. Domain profiles are not affected but extensions often have to be reinstalled. Saved passwords do not migrate either.
The best thing to do is to use Chrome's built-in sync feature to transfer everything

#4 2020-07-23 21:59:36

K0media

Fab wrote:

Hello,

I'd thank you again for this piece of info if I could. Now it's fair enough to know about this small detail instead of blaming you for Google's fault... It's a matter of security, but anyway...  sad

Last edited by K0media (2020-07-23 22:36:08)

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] claudebot

Board footer