Fab's AutoBackup forums

Welcome to Fab's AutoBackup technical support forums
Bienvenue sur les forums de support technique de Fab's AutoBackup

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Due to a large amount of fake accounts registrations for advertising purpose (spam), this forum does not accept new registrations any longer.
You can still browse existing threads to find the help you are looking for. If you do not find it and have questions, please use this contact form.

====================================

En raison d'un nombre important d'enregistrements de faux comptes utilisateurs à des fins de spam (publicité non sollicitée), il n'est désormais plus possible de s'enregistrer sur les forums de support technique.
Vous pouvez toujours parcourir les sujets existants pour trouver ce que vous recherchez. Si vous ne trouvez pas l'information et avez des questions, veuillez utiliser ce formulaire de contact.

#1 2020-02-29 16:51:51

Noob

Some likely basic questions

I am bored version seven home almost there a year ago and finally starting to use it.

I was surprised how few topics are in this forum. I guess everyone has the pro version :-)

I’ve been working with computers for years now. Is my fear unwarranted?  When setting up a new computer for someone, the old one is typically four / five years old. There’s loads of apps they aren’t using, there’s apps that they’ve uninstalled that still leaves things in the registry and App data folder, etc. loads of apps that have gone through lots of versions, with files in app data and entries in registry for the old versions.  I’ve heard it called winrot?.

So to try to give them as pristine a new machine as possible and leave all the clutter behind I manually copy my docs, desktop music, favorites, etc. I’ll install chrome if they use it iTunes etc.

Manually copy the google bookmarks, If they have a PST for their email I will manually import it into the new mail profile /pst.

Yes! Very tedious and time-consuming. Tabs Yes! Very tedious and time-consuming. Fabs autobackup can make this go much quicker,right?   

But Does it bring over the clutter to?

I was working on one machine or the person uses fire fox I think it was. Loads and loads and loads of versions since they first got the machine in all that is in at does it bring over the clutter to?

I was working on one machine or the person uses fire fox I think it was. Loads and loads and loads of versions since they first got the machine in all that is in a appdata

I don’t think the freshly installed Firefox needs all those folders from previous versions

If you check the box in fabs auto backup for an app, does it bring everything?  Or know to bring just current info / leave old versions files?

And this is also getting things from registry, right?

Also does this install as a portable app - can you install this to a thumb drive to take from machine to machine?  Or besides the install directory, it’s adding things to the registry/ can’t run as a portable app

Finally, is there a change log for each version available?

Thanks!

#2 2020-02-29 17:19:46

Fab
Administrator

Re: Some likely basic questions

Noob wrote:

I was surprised how few topics are in this forum. I guess everyone has the pro version :-)

Yes, most users are computer technicians and have Pro version. This explains that wink

Noob wrote:

I’ve been working with computers for years now. Is my fear unwarranted?  When setting up a new computer for someone, the old one is typically four / five years old. There’s loads of apps they aren’t using, there’s apps that they’ve uninstalled that still leaves things in the registry and App data folder, etc. loads of apps that have gone through lots of versions, with files in app data and entries in registry for the old versions.  I’ve heard it called winrot?.

So to try to give them as pristine a new machine as possible and leave all the clutter behind I manually copy my docs, desktop music, favorites, etc. I’ll install chrome if they use it iTunes etc.

Manually copy the google bookmarks, If they have a PST for their email I will manually import it into the new mail profile /pst.

Yes! Very tedious and time-consuming. Tabs Yes! Very tedious and time-consuming. Fabs autobackup can make this go much quicker,right?   

But Does it bring over the clutter to?

I was working on one machine or the person uses fire fox I think it was. Loads and loads and loads of versions since they first got the machine in all that is in at does it bring over the clutter to?

I was working on one machine or the person uses fire fox I think it was. Loads and loads and loads of versions since they first got the machine in all that is in a appdata

Fab's helps migrating that kind of files. About Firefox, it gets profiles and leaves stuff like cached data behind. Of course, since it gets the entire profile, if there are some dodgy extensions, they will follow and will need to be removed. That being said, there's an option to keep only browsers bookmarks. This way, everything stays clean on restored machines.

Noob wrote:

If you check the box in fabs auto backup for an app, does it bring everything?  Or know to bring just current info / leave old versions files?

Most of the time, it's just data and settings, not everything since it's not designed to move apps as well.

Noob wrote:

And this is also getting things from registry, right?

Yes, Outlook email accounts and PST/OST files locations is a good example of that. It helps a lot for migrations.

Noob wrote:

Also does this install as a portable app - can you install this to a thumb drive to take from machine to machine?  Or besides the install directory, it’s adding things to the registry/ can’t run as a portable app

Home & Office version is not portable and has to be installed. Pro version is. Yes it adds things to the registry but nothing heavy. For example, there's no service or file associations to register. In fact, it will mostly use %ProgramData% to store configuration file, third party tools (Nirsoft utilities), language files ...

Noob wrote:

Finally, is there a change log for each version available?

Yes there is: https://www.fpnet.fr/?page=abupdates&lang=en

Fab

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] ClaudeBot

Board footer