Fab's AutoBackup forums

Welcome to Fab's AutoBackup technical support forums
Bienvenue sur les forums de support technique de Fab's AutoBackup

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Due to a large amount of fake accounts registrations for advertising purpose (spam), this forum does not accept new registrations any longer.
You can still browse existing threads to find the help you are looking for. If you do not find it and have questions, please use this contact form.

====================================

En raison d'un nombre important d'enregistrements de faux comptes utilisateurs à des fins de spam (publicité non sollicitée), il n'est désormais plus possible de s'enregistrer sur les forums de support technique.
Vous pouvez toujours parcourir les sujets existants pour trouver ce que vous recherchez. Si vous ne trouvez pas l'information et avez des questions, veuillez utiliser ce formulaire de contact.

#1 2021-11-11 15:18:09

schwags

FABS not allowing to restore from backup config file

I recently updated my FABS to the newest version but this is also happening on older versions as well, but the last two out of 3 times I've tried to "restore" from my backup that I made via the config file, it freezes after pressing the "next" button - the english/language drop-down bar blinks and disappears and nothing happens.  It doesn't freeze up the application, because I can move it and it's still responsive but nothing happens.  Any thoughts?

Thanks.

#2 2021-11-11 15:21:52

Fab
Administrator

Re: FABS not allowing to restore from backup config file

schwags wrote:

I recently updated my FABS to the newest version but this is also happening on older versions as well, but the last two out of 3 times I've tried to "restore" from my backup that I made via the config file, it freezes after pressing the "next" button - the english/language drop-down bar blinks and disappears and nothing happens.  It doesn't freeze up the application, because I can move it and it's still responsive but nothing happens.  Any thoughts?

Thanks.

No idea right now. However, I could remote in that system and try to guess what's going on.
Please send me how to get in this system on my email "fab [at ] fpnet [dot] fr"

Fab

#3 2021-11-11 15:39:12

Fab
Administrator

I got your message but I don't know if you got my reply.
You can choose either TeamViewer or Anydesk. Both are fine for me.

Fab

#4 2021-11-11 17:21:16

Fab
Administrator

So, the culprit was an "additional files" backup that was very large (lots of files) probably using file search on the entire drive. At restore, it uses file search inside backup folder to list them it looks totally stuck at that time. In fact, it is working in background and if it is let long enough, it finally goes forward.
This is something I could reproduce on my development machine.
As a workaround, use windows file explorer to browse public backup archive folder, rename the "AdditionalFiles" to something else like "AdditionalFiles-", go deeper in folders to "Public\archive\AdditionalFiles-\Data\!" folder and drag content to the new machine.
Then, use Fab's Autobackup to restore the other stuff.
I'm working on a way to fix this wink

While I was on this computer, I thought there was also a problem if there was a space in the user name but finally not as I tried to reproduce such a weirdness as well but nothing happened.

Fab

#5 2021-11-17 09:47:59

Fab
Administrator

I've worked to solve that issue. Now, at backup, if it copies an additional file, it will add it to a text file list. At restore, the program will load this list instead of using a file search. This way, if there is a large amount of additional files, it will list them way faster. If that list does not exist (if the backup has been made with a previous Fab's version), it will show what it is doing instead of doing its thing in background. The program should not look stuck anymore with this.
This will be in the next update. Stay tuned !

Fab

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] claudebot

Board footer