Fab's AutoBackup forums

Welcome to Fab's AutoBackup technical support forums
Bienvenue sur les forums de support technique de Fab's AutoBackup

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Due to a large amount of fake accounts registrations for advertising purpose (spam), this forum does not accept new registrations any longer.
You can still browse existing threads to find the help you are looking for. If you do not find it and have questions, please use this contact form.

====================================

En raison d'un nombre important d'enregistrements de faux comptes utilisateurs à des fins de spam (publicité non sollicitée), il n'est désormais plus possible de s'enregistrer sur les forums de support technique.
Vous pouvez toujours parcourir les sujets existants pour trouver ce que vous recherchez. Si vous ne trouvez pas l'information et avez des questions, veuillez utiliser ce formulaire de contact.

#1 2018-03-23 14:10:26

schwags

[SOLVED] The option to Move files instead of copy...

I had originally requested the feature to move files instead of copying them 3 years ago, and Fab did implement it. Thank for that! the old thread is here. BUT, I wanted to bring this topic back up with the new release of 7 because I feel it could be greatly improved.

In the current release, the option to purge files seems to only delete the source after the full restore is finished. That kind of defeats the purpose of the function, as it was intended to allow us to restore data to a machine that only has enough storage space for one copy of the data. This is also less efficient since a copy and delete function is much slower than a move function in NTFS.

I suggest changing the feature so that it actually uses the move function instead of copy and delete. This will prevent a smaller volume from filling and make restores MUCH faster when the backup archive is already on the destination volume.

#2 2018-03-23 14:27:40

Fab
Administrator

Re: [SOLVED] The option to Move files instead of copy...

I have looked at the source code and this feature is enabled for restore and transfer jobs but not for backups.
Are you meaning you want to see this for backup jobs too?

Fab

#3 2018-03-23 14:35:50

schwags

Thank you for responding so quickly. To answer your question, No, it does not need to be enabled for backups. I would like the change the way it works for the transfer and restores so that it moves files instead of copying them to the destination and then deleting them. The NTFS move function doesn't actually move any data, it simply rewrites the descriptor of the file to put it in a different place. This is MUCH faster as it doesn't require any IO on the volume.

#4 2018-03-23 14:45:56

Fab
Administrator

If the files to transfer or restore are on the same drive and the option to move the files as been checked, the program has a special instruction that is designed to move them instead of copy them, then delete them.
I have to double check that. I will get back to you as soon as I have results.

Fab

#5 2018-03-23 16:08:33

Fab
Administrator

I have tested it with a 20 GB virtual hard disk file.
When restoring it the usual way, it took time copying it from the backup to its final location. I did not let it finish.
Then, I have done the same thing but with the mode files option selected. this time, the file has been copied in an eye blink time.
It looks like it works as expected. Of course, in real life, there can be a huge amount of small files that will in fact need disk IO (the file's path is changed in the NTFS MFT) and this is probably what it is time consuming but there is nothing I can do about that. The file is not copied then deleted but really moved when dealing with files on a same volume.

Fab

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] claudebot

Board footer