Fab's AutoBackup forums

Welcome to Fab's AutoBackup technical support forums
Bienvenue sur les forums de support technique de Fab's AutoBackup

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Due to a large amount of fake accounts registrations for advertising purpose (spam), this forum does not accept new registrations any longer.
You can still browse existing threads to find the help you are looking for. If you do not find it and have questions, please use this contact form.

====================================

En raison d'un nombre important d'enregistrements de faux comptes utilisateurs à des fins de spam (publicité non sollicitée), il n'est désormais plus possible de s'enregistrer sur les forums de support technique.
Vous pouvez toujours parcourir les sujets existants pour trouver ce que vous recherchez. Si vous ne trouvez pas l'information et avez des questions, veuillez utiliser ce formulaire de contact.

#1 2019-01-19 14:48:31

User27165

Versioning for client backups and One Click Backup

Dear Fabrice,

Thanks for your great software. Have been a Pro user version for quite some years already.

I am looking into selling clients Fabs AutoBackup 7 licenses. What i want to achieve is a backup solution for clients that they can run from their external USB HDD. It needs to be dead simple for the client so your program is great for that. One thing what is needed is versioning. I would like to have clients have multiple backups to restore from but i don`t want to fill the drive up endlessly. So the backup would need to work with versioning.

Are there any possibilities is for your program to do this?

Also some other things that i would be helpful is setting a One-Click backup button. This could technically be created with the command line builder but then it is just a cmd button and not a GUI. A single screen with 2 buttons (Make Backup/Restore Backup) without any questions or settings would be great to have for clients to create a bulletproof backup.

It would be great to have a single offline external USB drive that holds all the data and the Fabs program itself. With the %~dp0 variable i can create the backup to the same drive as were the script was started from, but it would be great if this could be incorporated in a GUI style way in Fabs itself.  Then clients cant do anything wrong anymore with backing up. Some time ago i have used ClickFree Backup Drives which were great for clients. Trying to re-create something that was as easy as ClickFree Backup.

If we could also figure out a way to run Fabs on connecting the External USB Drive then i will sell all my customers a license. :8

Looking forward in your opinions.

#2 2019-01-19 19:31:51

Fab
Administrator

Re: Versioning for client backups and One Click Backup

User27165 wrote:

Dear Fabrice,

Thanks for your great software. Have been a Pro user version for quite some years already.

I am looking into selling clients Fabs AutoBackup 7 licenses. What i want to achieve is a backup solution for clients that they can run from their external USB HDD. It needs to be dead simple for the client so your program is great for that. One thing what is needed is versioning. I would like to have clients have multiple backups to restore from but i don`t want to fill the drive up endlessly. So the backup would need to work with versioning.
Are there any possibilities is for your program to do this?

That's not its first purpose since this version is made from Pro. I have been asked for features like that to make it simpler for residential customers. Step by step, it gets better for them. That said, the command scripts can only backup (restore in command line has not been implemented because of multi user ability in V7). Also, if versioning is needed, it is required to store backups in separated folders named with the backup's date with no purge. It means that soon or later, the backup drive will be filled if old backups are not deleted and this deletion has to be done manually.

User27165 wrote:

Also some other things that i would be helpful is setting a One-Click backup button. This could technically be created with the command line builder but then it is just a cmd button and not a GUI. A single screen with 2 buttons (Make Backup/Restore Backup) without any questions or settings would be great to have for clients to create a bulletproof backup.

It would be great to have a single offline external USB drive that holds all the data and the Fabs program itself. With the %~dp0 variable i can create the backup to the same drive as were the script was started from, but it would be great if this could be incorporated in a GUI style way in Fabs itself.  Then clients cant do anything wrong anymore with backing up. Some time ago i have used ClickFree Backup Drives which were great for clients. Trying to re-create something that was as easy as ClickFree Backup.

If we could also figure out a way to run Fabs on connecting the External USB Drive then i will sell all my customers a license. :8

Looking forward in your opinions.

All of this make me think a totally new software specially designed for this residential use is needed instead of the one available on the market today.

Fab

#3 2019-01-19 20:25:43

User27165

That would be a great idea! Such a program built from the ground up but with the great backup features from Auto Backup would be a great solution. I'd love to help out with that if you want for testing and pitching the other ideas.

I have looked extensively for such a tool but it doesn't seem to exist like Clickfree once had.

If you're interested In talking about it further just let me know!

#4 2019-01-19 20:31:22

Fab
Administrator

User27165 wrote:

That would be a great idea! Such a program built from the ground up but with the great backup features from Auto Backup would be a great solution. I'd love to help out with that if you want for testing and pitching the other ideas.

I have looked extensively for such a tool but it doesn't seem to exist like Clickfree once had.

If you're interested In talking about it further just let me know!

That's very kind. I hope you will still be ready for this when I will be ready myself. Currently, I have too much work and too little time to start another project.

Fab

#5 2019-01-20 01:26:39

User27165

I hope so too but I probably will. Cause I can always make time for useful and time-saving projects.

#6 2019-09-24 08:15:25

User27165

Hi Fabrice,

Hope you are doing well?

Is there any news about a residential backup solution where we talked about? Would still love to buy a solution for clients that do not have high speed fiber connections for Cloud Backups (or have trust issues with clouds). I can sell this to many customers.

I`d love to brainstorm about this with you when you have the time. smile

#7 2019-09-24 08:17:05

Fab
Administrator

I'm sorry but I'm still struggling with time. Just an example, I have an update almost ready for release since about a month and still did not have the time to do it right...

Fab

#8 2019-09-24 08:20:14

User27165

Wow, that was a fast reply smile

Hmm ok. I understand things take time. It doesnt`t always go how we want to. But still love to talk about it with you so if you want, please let me know when you have time.

#9 2019-11-10 15:00:07

User27165

Hi Fabrice,

Hope your doing well! I have noticed there have been some new updates lately and was wondering if you're still struggling to get more free time or everything just have worked out by now.

Also i have another idea for Fabs AutoBackup. I always use a program called DesktopOK to save and restore icon layouts from people`s desktops. Now i do this before i create a Fabs backup but would probably a nice addition to Fabs since that already tries to place all the data back like nothing has happened smile

Here`s a link to that tool:

https://www.softwareok.com/?seite=Freeware/DesktopOK

#10 2019-11-10 15:35:16

Fab
Administrator

Hi, I'm always busy as developing Fab's is not my full time job. I'm doing that on my free time. Regarding how the program currently works, this would be a real pain to change it behavior to integrate versioning in it.
About that DesktopOK tool, I prefer things that work for current logged in user but also with other user profiles and with hooked drives as well. Does it tick all these boxes ? If so, it may be a good thing to look at it closer, guess how it works and add its something like it to Fab's AutoBackup's code.

Fab

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] ClaudeBot

Board footer